PDA

View Full Version : channel cat

SSMACNCHEESE
06-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Caught a 7 lb channel cat on the ultra light with 4 lb test Thought it was a small sturgeon on the fight but was suprised at the results.... Fist one I've caught in the bay...

weekend jimmy
06-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Nice going!!! I've never caught one that big, but the ones I have caught fight hard. I can't imagine doing it on 4# line. Again congrats. Was that here on LBDN??? And what were you using? If you don't mind sharing a little more info.

SSMACNCHEESE
06-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Nice going!!! I've never caught one that big, but the ones I have caught fight hard. I can't imagine doing it on 4# line. Again congrats. Was that here on LBDN??? And what were you using? If you don't mind sharing a little more info.

I was just south of gladstone... I had a 3/8oz walking sinker and a floating jighead with a piece of crawler, thats all it was. My friend was making fun of me on the way out for bringing the noodle (ultra light) but I kept telling him anything he can catch on his 12lb test I can on 4. I was just driften along like usual and the rod got suprisingly heavy. We were in a deep hole about 40 ft the fish came almost straight up and once on the surface I kept seeing the fin stickin out of the water which is why I had sturgeon on the brain, that and I would like to catch one. Pretty funny though, last thing I really expected it to be. it was a fat cat for sure. I have a pic on the phone but don't know how to get it on here or i'd show ya.

CaptainKenLee
06-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Here's a cat WalleyeGuy and I caught while fishing one of our club tourneys a couple of years ago. Caught it on a deep Reef Runner. Been getting a dozen or so each year on charters, mostly on harnesses at the north end. They sure are fun to catch, but you know what you got when the board sinks or when they start rolling on the top.

befishin
06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
We catch lots of them big ones down here on the south end of the bay. When they come up the Fox to spawn it's crazy the toads you catch on the jig pole.

I've gotten them off Sturgeon Bay, off Door County, Oconto, Peshtigo, but some of the "hottest" big cat action is off Green Isle.

Like Capt. Ken says, you know what you've got when the board takes off in the opposite direction and the fish starts to spin on the surface.

upangler
06-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Here is one that was caught trolling in the shallows off garth point a few years ago.
Brett

The Bait Shop Guy
06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Since we're on the subject of BIG cats, I might as well throw this one on the pile. Captain Ken put me on this pig in the Menominee River back in May 2005. We didn't have a scale or a tape measure, but guessed it was well over 20 pounds! It was quite the fight, especially since I'm right handed and reeled it in on Kens left handed spinning gear! All part of the story now.

Thanks again for that trip, Ken!:D

SSMACNCHEESE
06-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Those are some impressive cats guys. Guess I didn't realize how many were being caught. I used to have a neighbor when I was a kid that would bring home one or two every now and then from around the days river and give them to my dad cause he didn't know how to clean um. His loss...
Its funny how down south they are basically the fish of choice, but up here everyone doesn't think anything of them... Oh yea As to upanglers fish By looking at your picture of where you were when you caught that one (by garth) you were almost exactly where I caught the one the other day!