PDA

View Full Version : Kids and pike

The Bait Shop Guy
07-03-2009, 11:05 AM
My brother took his two girls to the Escanaba harbor Thursday morning to go for a boat ride and do a little fishing. Their plan was to troll spinnerbaits from the launch to the harbor mouth. They didn't even go for a minute before Delaney hooked the first fish - a nice pike in the 32 to 34 inch range (no measuring device onboard. He's still in "shakedown mode" with the boat.) After a quick CPR session, they turned and trolled back through the same area off the launch and hooked another pike. Olivia got to catch that one - a pike in the 30 to 32 inch range. In a matter of 5 minutes, the girls had both caught the biggest fish of their lives! Somehow I think they'll top those two fish before boys come into the picture. They went on to catch some smaller pike in the harbor and small walleyes in the Escanaba River. It's good to know that the pike haven't been turned off by this change in the weather.

On a side note, my brother is about to be stationed at Ft. McCoy in Wisconsin. We've heard that there's some good bass and trout fishing available on the base. If anyone has information they'd like to share, shoot me a P.M. It would be greatly appreciated.

YooperTroll
07-03-2009, 04:11 PM
My boy has caught a couple of keepers from shore there...never gave it much thought about getting the boat out there and trolling in the harbor. Might have to give it a try someday when I don't want to drive very far.

Nice pictures. That's good stuff.

Kevin Lee
07-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Now that's what it's all about! Great pictures Chris. Infact, the pictures make me want to go pike fishing real bad...