PDA

View Full Version : salmon knots

jerkbait
07-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what is the standard knot for tieing braid to dipsy's and what type of knot is best for fly's.

thanks for the help...
jerkbait

RudyG
07-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Dave... The Albright knot is common but what seems to be recommended by many Fishermen, is a double Uni knot. Very strong and not hard to tie once you learn it. http://www.hotshotguide.com/DoubleUUni.htm

For flies I think most guys will agree a surgeons loop is easiest and works very well.
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

jerkbait
07-08-2009, 07:50 AM
hey thanks Ed.

but i use the albright knot for joining leaders to the braid what i was looking for was a strong knot for tieing directly from the braid main line to the dipsy. I've been using the improved clinch knot but havnt hooked a king yet either. I want a little assurance that my knot will hold. The improved clinch has always held for walleye but they are a little lazy compared to kings.

thanks again for the help.
jerkbait

Phlounder
07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Hay Jerkbait

I have used the surgeon's loop tied directly to a large crosslock or coastlock snap to go directly to my dipsy's and have never lost one on a fish. In the motor or rigger cables is another story. I cut a few feet of line re-tie them every few trips for good measure.

I gave johnkregs a dozen or so big coastlock snaps last weekend, take a few from him and I'll replenish his current supply.

PhD

The Bait Shop Guy
07-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Whatever knot you use, adding a drop of super glue will make it 100%.

jbirdup
07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
A palomar knot tied to your swivel for braid has been my favorite one...never broken and doesn't slip. For my flies, we use a two hook system. I snell a single siwash and leave a good 12 to 14 inches of tag end then I tie a treble on using a palomar knot. Just be careful not to pull too much of the wrong end of the line away from your knot when you tighten it down or the length between hooks will be too long....I also use another knot that works better with heavier LB. Test, but can't remember the name of it...if I can find an illustration of it with a name I'll post it...

RudyG
07-08-2009, 08:27 PM
My bad Dave... reading comprehension strikes again... With the dipsies I've been using the Palomar. No problem with break offs and I've even snagged a dipsy and not lost it. I do know guys that use the single Uni tho for tying on terminal to braid and swear by it. I just know the palomar is faster and easier to tie.

jerkbait
07-08-2009, 11:07 PM
thanks guys im goin out thurs. mornin for the f.r. can will post results.

jbirdup
07-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Haven't found a name for the knot I mentioned in my previous post, but if you know Marvin Lusardi of Rapid River, He is the one that showed me how to tie it. One of the strongest knots I've ever seen... Good luck...

DooFighter
07-09-2009, 06:38 AM
I use the uni tied to a swivel just in case that dipsy gets squirelly. A drop of superglue gives me peace of mind, thank you baitshopguy for sharing that tip a couple years ago. I tend to use the uni on terminal tackle as well as dipsys, but palomar is easier on the boat and use that, too.

finaddict
07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Where practical I tie the palomar knot for teminal tackle. For braided dipsies I tie the knot to the swivel and then attach. If I can't tie a palomar for whatever reason then I tie a Sandiego Jam Knot which is a little more difficult to tie but also a little stronger. http://www.netknots.com/html/san_diego_jam_knot.html

For flies I tie with 50# fluorocarbon and I use a double overhand loop knot to attach to a flasher. For hooks I use Owners and tie a "tournament tie" with a single and a treble stinger both snelled.

Capt. Jim McDonald

jerkbait
07-09-2009, 12:45 PM
got my first big girl this year and the first kinger in my boat yee haa she was a nice 15lber cought on bloody nose spoon on a full core of 30lb copper so she was down there. heres some pics for yas thanks again to all for the knot info...

jerkbait