PDA

View Full Version : 4 nights, 1 walleye!!!

chrisgofish
07-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, after 3 nights of trolling, jigging, and drifting for walleye (with nothing but 1 sheephead to show for) i decided to fish for salmon south of esky. Within 10 min. i caught a nice walleye at 40 fow in 90 fow. also got 1 small king. i don't do much fishing for walleye here in the summer, and several locals i talked to said this is a slow time, but is always this slow, and when does the walleye fishin' start pickin' up, thks.

The Bait Shop Guy
07-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Well, if you just want to catch walleyes, head down to the Escanaba River. I've boated 62 in there in the last week. Granted there were only 5 or 6 keepers in that bunch, but I'm constantly catching fish, having a good time, and putting a few on the table.

This is the slow time of the summer for walleye fishing. In a typical year, the alewives show up to spawn around the last week of June. The mayfly hatches also start about the same time. There's so much natural food in the system right now that it's hard to compete. Add that to an already cold, late summer, and it's doubly tough! In a normal year, things get back to normal around the end of July or the first part of August. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens this year.

chrisgofish
07-12-2009, 10:29 PM
thanks bait shop guy, guess we'll look forward to august