PDA

View Full Version : lures to get in stock for NW PA

jah1317
07-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey guys I have a story and question. In Saegertown PA there is a new shop opened on main street which is primarily a hunting shop but the guy does have some fishing stuff. I went and checked it out and got talking about musky fishermen with him and he may possibly order some items in first question is if he had a good selection would you guys go? secondly, what lures would you want to see in there. I want to have some solid selections that if they were there they would be bought, I want him to suceed and I want a shop that carries descent baits! His shop would be within 25 min of pymi, 5 min of woodcock, 15 min of conneaut lake 15 min of tamerack, 20 min of edinboro lake. I was thinking not only of baits but also of reels and rods incase someone broke thiers while on the water because there is nowhere else to go except gander in erie. Any thoughts?

Take care,

Jacob

ThreeRiversEsox
07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Tell him not to spend all his money on baits cause until he gets his feet on the ground and well known, tying all your money into lures collecting dust on a shelf is one way to go under quickly. Most of the money being made on lures is via the net, so actually having a baitstore that carries product like this ($15-25 dollar lures) is like having cars sit on a lot waiting to sell. Alot of money tied up and not much moving. Even places like O' Donnells and the Fish Education Center have alot of lures sitting on shelves, it's just not something that has a huge call in this area when the online world has everything.

allegheny river kid
07-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I agree with Three Rivers Esox, people in the area buying tackle are generally getting it online, the prices are hard to beat and its tough for a shop to carry a wide variety of baits in every color under the rainbow. Some shops can move lures quicker than others but most musky guys dont need to stop off at the tackle shop before a trip to the lake.

jah1317
07-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the reply guys,

He already has an established internet business with the archery, he expanded to brick and mortar because suppliers would not allow him to carry more products unless he had a physical retail location. I know that products stay on the shelf for a long time but also, this area has guys coming up for a week at a time sometimes to fish these waters that was my angle if you lose a lure that is catching fish on day 2 would'nt you like to get one to replace it for day 3,4,&5 or if your rod breaks. That was what I was getting at. I was not proposing that he get a full line of everything just a few lures that work well in the local lakes that he could get additional people into his shop with.

Jacob

Red Childress
07-14-2009, 12:34 PM
If I were looking to beef up my sporting goods store with musky stuff, I would keep it simple and on the cheap side at first. Maybe have a few Bomber Long-A Mags (8.00 retail), Swimmin' Joes (13.00), larger Rapalas, largemouth/small muskie sized spinner baits, DB06's and DBO8's by Bagley, 6-in. Kickin' Minnows, Spring Dawgs, etc........moving those type of cross-over baits might be easier to sell and not so intimidating (both in price and physical exertion) for the average fsherman. I would even think there would be market for 'used' baits as well given the current economy.

What do I know, I am just a school teacher. :)

HBmusky
08-05-2009, 09:15 AM
It is hard in this present day to start any company .Being in biz for myself these guys are right put the money in live bait and work from there.the last sellection was in good intrest .Keep it cheap and cost down and keep it basic, focus on all types of fish and promote key species that are in season and dominate the area there. Get involved with local groups and kids promotions . The key is to self promote and advertise for tuff times demand it to stay afloat.