PDA

View Full Version : Sun Sun and more Sun

ryanmitchell
07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Fish deeper and close to cover. I have heard that many times, but just seeing if anyone has anymore advice on fishing Sunny days.

We get out when we can down here, and though it is hard to complain with nice sunny, breezy weather, it defintely effects our fishing. Most of the days we have fished this year have been high 70's/Low 80's. Slight to medium breeze, barely a cloud in the sky.

If I have 2 guys with me, one is throwing topwater, one is throwing a bucktail/spinnerbait, and one is throwing a glider or bulldawg. We have had a few follows, and one fished was hooked on a bulldawg. It just seems like we dread the day a little when we know the forecast calls for mostly sunny weather all day long.

Does anyone have any insight on how better to approach fishing the bluebird days? Thanks

curleytail
07-16-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure if this pertains to darker water flowages like the Chip or not, but it's been working on clear lakes.
I've been tending to fish deeper on clear lakes, and stuff like big rubber baits 8-12 feet down with good results. Much bigger than average fish, and they don't seem to really be affected by sun. Actually, they don't seem to be as negatively affected by any type of weather.

Haven't dove into truly suspended basin fishing much yet, but working the deep edges of structure in the 12-25 foot range has worked pretty well.

Again, not sure if this works so well on Flowages. On flowage type water I've had some action by grinding spinnerbaits through really thick weeds, or right tight to the edge of thick weeds that break into deep water fairly quickly.

curleytail

Ty Sennett
07-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Fish good structure with good baits and wait for a feeding window. Don't try anything off the wall.

ryanmitchell
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
We fish mainly clear lakes. We brought up a few fish on a white bulldawg the other day, and I had one chase a bright Manta. Had a couple hit on topwater, but can't be sure they were skis. I am trying to vary speed on the bucktails, but buring them mostly.

We are going out on Tuesday, the highest rated day of the month, based on the prime times calendar that is posted in Bassmasters magazine. It is also the best looking day for all the other sites I check. Do you guys take stock in those highly rated days, or just fish hard whenever you can get out? I have been out twice before when the days were rated in the 90s/100, and we caught lots of fish. Also fished days in the 20s and 30s/100 and fishing was poor. Interested to hear your feedback, or maybe some more links regarding solunar type ratings.

Cold Front
07-16-2009, 11:27 AM
There's very little question that all the science affects the fishing. Moon phase, water temp, etc. Weather at the location is definently the trump card, great moon phase window with crappy weather conditions usually results in crappy fishing. The real question is Does your schedule and financial situation allow you to schedule your fishing time around all the data? If the answer to that question is "No...I have to fish when family/work/other commitment
and finances allow." then you need to fish when ever you can, fish good structure with good baits, have fun and hope a big girl eats your bait regardless of the tables.

MuskyManiac
07-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm with you Cold Front, I fish whenever I can and don't worry about any tables or scientific data. I'm out there not only to catch a fish, but to enjoy the outdoors.

"A bad day fishing is always better than a good day at work!"

ryanmitchell
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree with both of you. Weather is always the trump card, just wondering if other pay close attention to phases/charts. I know some do when going after a trophy. I love the outdoors, especially in the Northwoods. Down here where we live I am more focused on catching and releasing a musky, something I have yet to do this season. I caught 2 on July 5th last year, and have not caught one since!

We are going to Vermilion around Labor Day. Loooking forward to that trip.

Ty Sennett
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
I also agree with Cold Front