PDA

View Full Version : The Nina, the Pinta, and the "Salmon" Maria

The Bait Shop Guy
07-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry, that's the best title I could come up with to combine a salmon report and a pic of the Columbus ships:p

Accurate replicas of the Nina and Pinta are in the Escanaba harbor until the 20th. The thing that blew me away was how small they are! There's no way I would have set sail across the Atlantic in one of these things, especially not knowing if there was anything on the other side!

Took my dad out for the first salmon trip of the season for "MY FIX." Started fishing around 8 this evening. We ran out of the harbor and started heading towards Portage Point. Didn't mark any bait, and very few fish, so we turned around and headed back towards the harbor. Once we got near the red buoy, we finally started marking some bait and more fish. We got into about 80 FOW and had the first hit on a dipsey set 120 back towing a purple plaid Echip flasher and a purple fly. After we landed that one and redeployed the dipsey, we turned around and went back thru the same area. We hooked the second fish on a Bishe's Bruiser Moonshine off a rigger set at 40 feet. That one hit at dark, so we decided to pack it up for the evening. When I brought in a spoon I was running off a planer board, I found a nice walleye hanging off of it. That one was on a Flounder Pounder behind a 2 ounce snap weight, 75 feet back.

Not a mind blowing trip by any means, but not bad for a quick fishing trip in your "backyard" right after work.

Fishoil
07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
What's the story on the ships? Are they there to be toured? It would be interesting to look them over inside.

Fishoil
07-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Never mind..... I found the newspaper article online. Now I just need to find time to get up there this weekend.