PDA

View Full Version : Kicker for new boat

KillitandGrillit
07-22-2009, 05:48 AM
As I was running in from the lake a couple of weeks ago, my main motor scattered. I went to the repair shop to talk to the guy...and the darndest thing happened- a Lund followed me home!

So now I'm thinking about what I should do for a kicker...I'm not looking to wake board behind it...I do a fair amount of salmon fishing, so constant speeds of 3-4 MPH are minimum, and it would be nice if I could use it to limp in if I have problems with my main motor (I better not though!!!).

Also, what do you guys suggest for a kicker bracket?

Maybe it would be helpful to mention it's a 17.something foot.

Rainbow Roper
07-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I have a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke on my 1800 Sport Angler. I can get down to .7 on a calm day with no problem. Have to wind it up a little bit to get to 3 mph on a calm day and a bit more fighting waves. It doesn't run too high, but would like just a little more for the kicker.

In my opinion, a 9.9 would be about right for a 17 footer, but if I did it again for my boat would be a 15hp.

Hope this helps.

Fishoil
07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I have a Yamaha T-8 on my 21' Ranger and it will push it about 5MPH at WOT and will troll down close to .5MPH. I got the one with electric start and power tilt and added a Trollmaster and a removeable bar hooking it to my big motor. You can either control it from the steering wheel or sit in back and use the tiller handle. It's a great kicker and I'd buy it again if I needed one.

jtourangeau
07-22-2009, 09:54 PM
second on the T-8.No aftermarket trim ,beefy lower unit,run in the cold for fall.You can prop it how you want for speed range.I currently have a johnson 9.9 with about 8 hours on it,it takes one minute to warm up before i can put it in gear,the elec. start only worked once, and the pather lift puts it about 6-8 inches off the transom and requires seperate power and switch.Its also bouncy/loose looking while running to spots. my 2cents. JT my t-8 was on a 19'6'' ranger the 9.9 johnson is on 20'4'' ranger. the t-8 is plenty of power for a 17' alum,or any in the 8-10 range

jerkbait
07-22-2009, 11:19 PM
kill it and grill it,

I sent you a private message, I have a kicker for sale details in the message.

thanks
jerkbait...

captdoug
07-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Killit,
I have run 9.9 merc 4 strokes since they came out and they are bullet proof. It will certainly go fast enough. It is about going slow enough. Trolled plenty of harnesses and leadcore with them, below 1.0 mph.
I have a 9.9 pro kicker with controls for sale if you are interested. Very low hours.
e-mail me at otwadoug@new.rr.com

Good Luck, Doug