PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-Great site and looking for advice.

cries
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Hello Ty and All, This is my 1st posting here. I have been shadowing this site for the last couple of months and must say it is one of the best fishing sites I have found so far. I am new to Musky fishing and have my 1st trip planned on the Chip for the last week of August 08/22-08/29. I have fished the Hayward area for many years but never for Musky and never on water like this. I was wondering if you or anyone else could recommend any good lure colors to use on the water, types of lures, best times, techniques, etc. I just purchased my 1st Pacemaker (Orange Crush) and cant wait to get out and use it.

BTW, would you have any openings for 1/2 day that week (preferably early in the week)? I sure could use some pointers. Thanks and I'll look forward to your comments.

andracke
07-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Good Luck on your trip -
I myself just got into musky fishing a few years ago. My thoguhts are to find a few good places to fish. Its such a huge body of water. Concentrate on those spots.

I would pick up a ghosttail or two, ones with green blades have been good recently. http://www.ghosttails.com

Enjoy throwing your pacemaker!! Click, Click, Boom!!

Good Luck to you -

jkahler
07-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Where are you staying? I'll still be there on the 22nd. Get a couple ghostails or dbl 8 blade rabid squirrel tails, and throw that Pacemaker and you should be good to go.

Pick it apart in small sections. Do you have a gps/lake map chip? That will help a ton for navigating and fishing the big bars.

Ty Sennett
07-24-2009, 01:02 PM
I do not have any time open that week. Kind of a crazy week for me. Try Dave Dorazio or Darrell Neighbour. Their number is in the phone book. They will help you out a lot and give you confidence to go back out and catch fish. That is a huge thing, having confidence.

As for baits, Ghostails,Pacemakers,Shumway's Flashers,Stillwaters,Rough Runners, Suicks, Big Game Twitchbaits are my top producers. There are a lot of other products that work well out here. These are just the ones I use the most. Other people might have some more suggestions. Good luck. Hope you nail a big one.

cries
07-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Thank much to both of you for the comments. I checked out the Ghost Tails on the link you provided and they are some pretty cool lures. Funny I just placed my order this week with Rollies and got it Wed. I just may have to stop and check them out personally when I get up there. We are staying at the Tiger Musky Resort(Couderay off County Rd CC and HWY H) and have a group of 12 guys coming up. It should be a lot of fun. FISH EARLY,Nap,Eat,Fish somemore, Eat,Fish into the night,Campfire/fish stories before bed and have a few POPS along the way. The only map I have at the moment is the one that you can print on line which shows some basic data. We do have two GPS units which I am sure will come in handy. I also plan on getting a more detailed map. Thanks again for the info and any other addl information would be appreciated.

Ty,
Just wanted to check again if any openings on Week 35?

cries
07-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I have had some challenges in reading posts. I am also more so excited about the trip. Did not see it was you responding. Maybe next trip.

Ty Sennett
07-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Make sure to get a Lakemaster paper map. The others are not even close in comparison.