PDA

View Full Version : Calcutta 400 TE

ryanmitchell
07-23-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a friend that is looking to purchase a Calcutta. He currently has a Shimano Cardiff, but that is not powerful enough to throw the big Cowgirl double bladed bucktails. Does anyone have a newer Calcutta for sale? He wants to pair that with a new split grip 8'6" St. Croix (currently a one month wait) for throwing big bucks and dawgs.

I have a 2 Curados, that I love, and cast like a dream, but I feel they are a bit undergeared for the big bucks. The Torium seems powerful enough and reasonably priced, but does not have a levelwind.

Are there any other less expensive reels that can easily handle those type baits?

Thanks
Ryan

jkahler
07-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Okuma Induron 400 will handle them until the reel breaks. Mine didn't last a season. I'm currently working on killing a St Croix 300a, so far so good.

I think the Saltist might be cheaper than the Luna or Calcutta.

Nick Kanauz
07-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Ryan-
You might look into an ABU-Garcia Record. There are two sizes...get the bigger of the two. They have the same # of bearings as a Calcutta. I have the smaller of the two and it handles doulble cowgirls with no problem. Like half the cost and a good company record on fixing problems. Just a thought along the lines of cost $170 or $340.
Best fishes,
<><

Dave Hardy
07-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Ryan, I have a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 400. It is the Japanese version of the USA's TE. After speaking with Josh at Shimano USA Service, the Conquest is supposedly geared a little tighter than the TE--I guess the Japanese are a little more demanding of their equipment and take better care than Americans.

While I have not thought of selling it, I am open to talking to someone about it. Let me know and I can get you/your friend my contact information.

Thanks, David.

ryanmitchell
07-27-2009, 10:40 PM
I think he went by Cabelas this evening and bought the 400. He also bought a Sling Blade split grip St. Croix, so he is going all out. He has never caught a musky! I hope this new setup paired with his passion will net him his first of many muskies. Thanks for your input guys. I will be looking to purchase a new setup soon, and will take this info into consideration. I read a lot about Lunas and Abus. The Calcutta seems like the Cadillac and it is hard to go wrong.