PDA

View Full Version : looking for help

upper allegany man
07-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Im new here can anyone help me is it good fishing from the dam to warren? Im from the pa border and usually fish the river from olean to the resivior... thanks for any help..

Larry Jones
07-26-2009, 05:25 PM
I was looking at the NY DEC Stocking Reports ,data from the last 10 years and noticed 1200 muskie yearlings being stocked near Olean,NY every fall.
I have caught good size muskies near Shinglehouse,PA about 5 years ago,but never fished the Allegheny River around Olean,NY.Any good fish to your boat in that area? My boat is glass and to big to fish there,just curious how the stocking efforts were working out.

Red Childress
07-27-2009, 07:21 AM
There is good fishing in that stretch but better known as a trophy waterway as they feed on the endless supply of 6-7 inch trout 24/7. You will get your butt kicked many times but when you do connect, she could be a 25-30 pounder.

toothyfishman
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I checked the stocking reports myself this spring and actually talked to the guy that stocks the Olean to the PA border, it's not 1200 fish per year which would be crazy for that small stretch. It is actually 200 fish per year and if there is leftovers it has got as many as 400 is what the guy told me.
I fished this stretch this spring 2 days with no luck. I fished the res. area years ago but was before I got into muskie fishing, at least before I knew somewhat what I was doing. There is some good fishing farther up stream as Larry mentioned but hard to acess and no boat launches at all to launch something that can't be carried.

One thing that will be better for you is less muddy water to deal with.

The lower A. you have to deal with the "Gate Master" at the dam, he can make or break you. Red has a link on here to the outflow, keep an eye on it for awhile and you'll get a feel for what's going on. Dropping water is a tough game on the river!

I keep thinking I'm going to re-visit the res. waters someday with the jet but I just haven't coughed up the $$$ for their permit.

Larry Jones
07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
The NY DEC Stocking Report for 2009 that Larry King gave me Thursday at the Hatchery has 1200 Muskie Yearlings to be Stocked from Olean to Reservation waters of the Upper Allegheny River.There may even be more then that stocked due to extra fish at the Hatchery!

toothyfishman
07-28-2009, 05:30 AM
It's GOT to be a typo......Olean to Res. waters is like only 5-6 miles tops, with about 4-5 fish holding depth holes, I fished it this spring and run it with the jet. I think we fished 5 spots?

I'll bet it is 200 and the extra 1 in front of it is a typo.

Check back with Larry K. it can't be right.
If it was a trout stocking I wouldn't think they would put that many in!

upper allegany man
07-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Ive fished from olean to the res for the last 15 years, in the river we only caught and seen 1 muskie, that was around the erving mills bridge, Ive never fished from what they call leribe y thats in pa just outside of port allegany they say they catch muskies in that stretch.

toothyfishman
07-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Upper A. Man.....you have a private message!