PDA

View Full Version : Hazards on French Creek

H2O wolf
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
This may be of interest to some on here...
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2009/nw_french_hazard.pdf

Here's a quote I pulled from another site from somebody with experience on this stretch

you can see them from wilson chutes put in. right after the putin there, the creek bottlenecks and makes a 's' turn. they are right in the middle. they are no more than 200 feet past the put in there, but are out of site from the launch. so you get in, still trying to get settled in you kayak, then wham, you're paddeling for you life. seroiusly, not even 30 seconds in the water and your life is flashing before you, and you don't know it's there, so your not prepared. it is a bad setup for sure.

Polish_Pike
08-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Speaking of Dangers on French Creek...this one's man-made.

I was wading in the West Branch of French a while back, north of Wattsburg, catching some nice pike on my flyrod and I came upon a stretch of the creek that had several strands of barbed-wire running all the way across the stream. I know people kayak down through it and I was wondering if that was legal to do that. I could see someone getting barbed in the neck because it would be tough to see in dusk.

I guess I always thought I was free to traverse and fish the waterway since it's stocked by the PFBC as long as I kept off the bank. The landowners disagree apparently. Should I report this or was I really trespassing?

BTW...that skinny little creek is crawling with Northerns if you're looking to catch a nice one on a flyrod. I've caught 'em up to 38" and seen some similar sized musky in it.