PDA

View Full Version : River weary

JIM T
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Seems that what I read on this site is quite a bit about lures,etc. what about river conditions,whats been caught,even if it hasnt been a musky.the last several trips havent been that great , water has been pretty dirty.apparently we have been "blessed" with a lot of rain lately up north.Guys I talked to at the ramp have taken some fish ,but they have been using minnows "chubs",I am not ready for live bait .... YET. On monday had 2 fish follow a large bucktail damn near into the boat, got the 2 young teens with me all excited. Red, both of these fish were at your first spot above the ramp.Well Iam hoping that someone will take a little mercy and put on here river conditions and if anything has decided to hit a lure. thanks for any info.

cband
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Had action both Saturday and Sunday south of Warren. Water was definitely colored and up a little higher than normal. Two fish trolling a new gaudy colored legend jointed bait. In the current conditions, I would stick with baits that make noise and let them zero in on them.

jah1317
08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
the guys on here are usually pretty good about reporting in, but either they have not been out (weather and high water has been discouraging) or they have been out and don't have any time to write. Me, it has been the latter my water has been high and silt laden so far this summer...... all these new lures and nothing to throw them at......

Good luck,

Jacob

P.S.

Truth be told, I am ready to start throwing out some chubs and seeing what happens.

toothyfishman
08-06-2009, 05:15 AM
Sorry,
I'm no help either, the river is mostly a spring/winter thing for me.
I've been on the big boat out fishing other places.
I'll have reports when winter comes and NY season has closed.
We've been having lots of action and have caught some nice fish but not river fish.

Once in awhile I'll get the itchin' for some moving water and sneak down to the river during the summer but I haven't lately.

allegheny river kid
08-06-2009, 08:03 AM
I primarily fish the river just not up that way. I can only speak on whats been working down this way. Haven't fished the river for 2+ weeks with high muddy water being the norm down this way. Blades were moving alot of fish, i don't burn the big ones just keep them moving and do a good 8 at the boat, most of my fish come like that. The smaller ones i burn and they were getting some action also, bright colors seemed to get more action then other darker colors. Topwater had also been getting some fish going just not commiting. Haven't done anything with soft plastics this summer ie bulldawgs and red october tubes. Spinnerbaits are always a good option too. As for location i've found them mainly shallow so far this summer, haven't seen water temps over 76 yet. Good luck!

Pescatore
08-06-2009, 08:37 AM
I haven't reported yet, but I have had a great year. I don't think I get out as much as others, but we boated fish 11 out of 13 trips to Tamarack this year with 2 multiple fish days. The other water I fish is Lake Arthur and I have caught 3 fish in 7 trips (38.5", 44.5", 45"). All Tamarack fish were caught short line trolling with electric motors 2-2.5mph on 5" wileys, 6" jakes, and of course the timeless but hard to beat 6" Super Shad Rap. All Lake Arthur fish have been caught casting jerk baits. Lake Arthur has hugh muskies in every bay right now. You just have to pick a weed bed and methodically work it over for 6-8 hours with a good jerk bait and you'll see or catch a fish. Lake Arthur is tough due to pressure, but it is the best casting lake I know. Is anyone else doing any good at Arthur?

jah1317
08-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey pescatore, shoot me an e-mail if you ever have an open seat on your boat for tamerack, I live 10 min away and have not even SEEN a stinking fish yet on that lake....

Jacob

JShafish
08-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Allegheny River Kid sounds like you fish down stream where I ususally fish, what's it like now.? Was up last weekend, weekend before that it was high and muddy

JIM T
08-06-2009, 07:59 PM
WILL BE ON THE RIVER,FISHING FROM ALTHOM TO THE DAM,FOR 5 DAYS. My brother is coming in from colorado with the idea that the river is chock full of fish. He said he wanted to try the dam one day but I have no clue where to put in , have never been there but I guess any water will do.Thanks to you guys for the replies to questions about the river.As I said fishing was not that great but sure is pretty up there.

Red Childress
08-11-2009, 07:05 AM
JT,

Sorry I have not been on here lately but I have been in my boat morning, noon and nite the past 6 days. The river below Warren was in decent shape until Sunday nite and the upper stretch is blown out and muddy from the incredible amount of rain we got Monday morning. The run-off from the tributaries and ditches made us cancel Monday's trip after 1 hour of fishing and 2 hours of sitting along the bank waiting for the "organized" clouds to pass.

There is not an inch of river you can fish from the Dam to Kinzua as of yesterday afternoon...........DO NOT EVEN TRY IT as it will be a waste of time. I have never seen the upper section in this condition in the 17 years I have lived here. The outflow levels are on the rise and will continue to rise over the next few days.

We have been hitting at least 1 fish during the last 5 days with the largest being 43 but most have been in the 30's........we have not raised a fish over 45 in about 10 days or so. Most mornings we have had to wear sweatshirts and I wished I had gloves for a few of those mornings. Tons of bait and freaky weather is probably the culprit as to why we have not stuck a bigger fish lately.