PDA

View Full Version : Friday Aug. 7th report!

CaptainKenLee
08-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Well...the kids are down for their afternoon nap and it was either put up a report from this morning or clean up the house and do dishes before mama gets home from work. Hmmm...she'll get over it. Today's 1/2 day trip was with Ray Nelson and son Dan. Ray is from Cadillac and Dan from the Holt area of lower Michigan. It was kind of a jekyl and hyde day. We started out trolling crawler harnesses at the north end, but after seeing a water temp. of only 60 degrees where we've been fishing, I didn't get too excited about our chances. We then moved to three other locations with no luck at any of them. I was starting to get pretty frustrated. The only thing we hadn't done yet was head to the weeds, so we packed up the trolling gear and got out the jigging rods. I guess we should have done that from the beginning because the fish were on fire. In the last hour of our trip the guys landed their limit of nice eaters and we released at least 30 undersized fish. All of them coming on 1/4 oz. chartreuse jigs tipped with just a crawler half. The fish were so hot that while bringing one in there would be 2 and sometimes 3 other fish following. It was pretty neat to see. Unfortunately the wind got pretty strong and it was getting tough to see and feel the bites, but what I thought was going to be a bad day quickly turned into a fun one. We'll try our luck again tomorrow. Here's a picture of the guys with their fish. Good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area.

CaptainKenLee
08-07-2009, 03:18 PM
I forgot to mention that Ray is 80 yrs young, and one of the best fishermen I've had the pleasure to share a boat with. I truly enjoy listening to him talk about the "good old days". I can only hope that when I get to be his age I can catch fish like he does.