PDA

View Full Version : Down-East rod holder/BIG bait question.

Red Childress
08-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Even though my down-east rod holders (rail mounted) are as hand-tight as possible, I still manage to "move" them when pulling Plows at 4mph or Perchbaits at 6mph, especially when making turns. I do have my rod tips in the water as well. Does anyone else have this problem?? I am thinking about attaching bungee straps/pieces of looped rope around my rod butts to equalize the "tip forward" pressure that these baits create. I have already super-glued the rubber gaskets to the back of the holder to prevent spinning and I might just super-glue the gasket to the rail to make the entire holder is serving as a 1 piece structure.

Does anyone else have to make modifications with the Down-East holders when pulling large baits at higher speeds??

Punch and Judy
08-14-2009, 08:19 AM
If you can, try Berts Custom Tackle mounting tracks. We have four mounted on our boat and we have no trouble running the big baits. I will take some pics to upload later to explain how we use them.

rjjones
08-15-2009, 07:25 PM
i have used self tapping screws and screwed mine to the rail.Havent had any problems yet.

Red Childress
08-16-2009, 07:09 AM
I like that idea........

So I assume you just leave the holder bases on all the time, right??

Thanks for the help.

Red Childress
08-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Mission accomplished.........they are not going to move now!