PDA

View Full Version : Thurs./Friday report!

CaptainKenLee
08-21-2009, 07:06 PM
I had the chance to do some fun fishing the last couple of days with some good friends from lower Michigan; Dale Whaley and John Brockway . We did a lot of casting for pike with spinnerbaits, tossed tubes for smallies, and of course I had to take them walleye fishing for table fare. We didn't have as much luck pike fishing as I thought we should have, but the size of the smallies more than made up for it. Most of the smallmouth we landed averaged 3 to 4 lbs., and we lost a few that were easily over 20 inches. Like Baitshop Guy says...it's an "addiction". We were having so much fun with the bass that we didn't head to our walleye location as soon as I wanted, but it didn't matter because the walleyes were biting pretty darn good. We had several doubles, a triple, and lost several fish at the boat. Winds were a little more brutal today so we came in early. Fish were not as cooperative either with the passing of the cold front and strong west winds. I was looking forward to the Wheats Tourney tomorrow, but unfortunately had something come up and won't be able to participate. Here's some pictures from the last couple of days fishing. Good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area.

weekend jimmy
08-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks Captain for all your posts. I was afraid that the colder temps would shut things down for a bit. I'm looking to go out Monday evening. Were you fishing north or south of Gladstone? Some general direction would be greatly appreciated. Where were you catching the bass at? I could use a good day of "fun fishing" myself, but don't know the bay good enough to know where to go yet. Keep up the posting. Its nice to know that one of us has time to be out there.

CaptainKenLee
08-23-2009, 03:45 PM
We fished south of Gladstone most of the time except for a few of my pike spots that are north of Gladstone. Bass were located along pretty much any sharp breakline south of Gladstone, with lots of fish relating to the inside of the weed line. We pretty much only fished the west side of the bay, would have liked to hit some spots on the east side, but the winds didn't really allow us to do that on Friday, just too strong. The bass were taking 3.5 to 4 inch tubes in chartreuse or any goby color. Green pumpkin was good too. Best luck was with 1/8 oz. tube jig heads, but on Fri. we had to use 1/4 oz. and that still wasn't enough it was so windy. Weather is improving today, so the bite should get better in the next day or so. Good luck...

weekend jimmy
08-23-2009, 08:21 PM
thanks for the info. That helped a lot. Still not sure if i'm going to get out in the morning or evening. I will be out one of those times though. The evening looks better temp wise but the morning would be better wind wise. I'll let you know how I do.