PDA

View Full Version : downrigger mounting questions

Always Gone
08-29-2009, 10:33 PM
My boat is a 16 foot Sylvan with a wide gunnel. I have 4 downriggers mounted to it (a combination of stainless steel sheet metal screws and bolts). I use the bolts in places where I can get a wrench, and the screws where I can't. The gunnel is thin aluminum, so I made 4 boards to give it extra support.

The downrigger bracket is screwed to the board, which is screwed to the gunnel (made of thin aluminum covered with carpet). These boards have started to rot, and really do not look good.

Does anyone know of a different type of material I could use to give the gunnel some extra support. I would rather not mount them directly to it (I have tried it and there is alot of bending and flexing)? Does anyone sell a hard plastic base plate that could be used.

I would rather not buy a $1,000 traxtech system.

One more question. I have 2 cannon Mag 5 electric downriggers. It hasn't happened yet, but will someday. I have never stuck a weight. What happens when you do?.....Does the cable break, downrigger rip off the side of the boat, side of boat rip off, downrigger go into freespool mode? I would like to know what to expect when it happens to me. Anybody have some stories to share?

DooFighter
08-30-2009, 06:04 AM
There is a material called starboard which may work for what you're doing. It is expensive because it's used on boats often. If you only need a small piece, sometimes the cheap plastic cutting boards at discount stores will work. They flex a little, not sure if that will work for what you're doing. Do you have a picture?

If you snag a downrigger ball, you should have your clutch set so as to pay out line while you think fast and figure out what to do. If your clutch is set properly, worst case scenario is you lose a ball and cable. If it's set too tight, well then you're tearing stuff off your boat.

Do you run dipsys? Just wondering.

Capt. Chris
08-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Gary hit it on the head. Keep your clutch set so that it will play out if snagged.

One thing that often happens when snagged, is it will pull the back of the boat down. So low that the transom will go under water. If I recall correctly, there was at least 1 boat last summer on the east shore that went down because of that. Snagged a net if I recall.

Don't forget that even with a properly set clutch, your cable is attached to the rigger at the end with a few crimps. Once all the wire plays out, your stuck.

Either way, I ALWAYS keep wire cutters at the back of the boat near the riggers... ALWAYS.

Always Gone
08-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Called up Menards, and it turns out they have 1 x 6 grey deck boards (plastic/wood composite material). I am thinking this will work out perfect, my gunnel is even grey also. If anyone has any experience with these, feel free to share.

answer to a previous question... yes I do run dipsy's. Usually run 3 or 4 downriggers, 2 dipsys, and one level line (J13 rapala).

s_h_bogeyman
08-31-2009, 07:16 AM
The composite should work for you. You could also use wood, but I would use several coats of polyurethane to seal it. I have a 17' Sea Nymph and used a 2x6 across the rear cleats. I've had it since 1986 and it still looks good. I attached my downrigger board with 2 U-bolts on each end that hook under the cleats. It's worked very well. I have 1 rigger on each end (4 ft. boom) and 3 rod holders spaced out in between.

jbirdup
08-31-2009, 07:47 AM
There used to be a guy on E-bay that made a plate drilled to match the bolt patterns of all modern downrigger bases. I personally have bought plates for Big Jon and Scotty from him. I think he is from downstate....do a search on e-bay in the fishing section under downriggers...put them under your mounting board where you mount your rigger and bolt thru it.... adds alot of strength....

Dull Hooks
09-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I have a manual Big Jon downrigger that is harder than heck to keep from slipping while trolling. I cleverly stuffed a screw driver through the reel to keep it from letting out cable while my back was turned. That was about 5 minutes before I found the location of two big rock knobs. :eek: The downriggers held (treated 2x6's under the gunnels) but the cable sure made a neat sound when it popped. That will get your heart pounding.