PDA

View Full Version : Chautauqua muskies

Ivan
09-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Dad and I fished Chautauqua this Saturday and Sunday. We released some nice fish, with three over 45". We got most of our fish trolling Wileys. I included a pic of our best one (I hope the pic turns out...first time I've tried to resize a pic to post). This was one of the nicest, most beautifully marked, and thickest muskies we have ever got at Chautauqua. The fish was 34lbs.
Adam A.

H2O wolf
09-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Nice fish Adam! Thanks for sharing

EsoxPox
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Great fish Adam congrats! I would love to catch one like it. My son and I are planning a trip up there (from southern PA). We don't have quite the rig for trolling, is it possible to catch one like that casting? I've bee studying the lake and from the sound of it we will likely stay in the south basin. Any fish that big in there?

Ivan
09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
There are plenty of nice muskies in both the north and south basins of Chautauqua. The southern basin is normally darker water with weed growth starting in about 10'. The max depth in the south end is 20' but most open water is around 17' or shallower. The north basin is normally clearer with weed growth starting in about 14', although I've seen weeds in 18' of water this year. North end has depths up to about 60+.

If your a caster, fish the weed edges and throw bucktails, jekbaits, cranks, and rubber. I've always done best casting jerkbaits there.

By the way, my biggest Chautauqua fish is from the South end and the longest fish I've heard of from the lake was in the South end.

Good luck. I hope you get a big one.

EsoxPox
09-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Adam,
Thanks for some great tips. Could you point me to the best (south basin) launch for the first timer? Also, how late in the season would casting be effective on Chautauqua? ...and how early in the spring?

Jim_Bortz
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow Adam... What a toad! Great fish.

allegheny river kid
09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Thats a real real nice fish! Congrats!

river rat 83
09-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Awesome fish, I agree that the one in the picture is beautifully marked!

RiverRunt
09-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Awesome, man!

RiverRunt
09-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Oh yeah, That's what I'm talking about!

Red Childress
09-08-2009, 05:05 AM
That is a beautiful fish no matter what part of the country she came from.............Congrats!!

Ivan
09-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I always like to look at pics of nice fish.

EsoxPox:
Season at Chautauqua opens third Sat in June and I've caught fish there into November. Can catch them there anytime through that period. I probably like september the best, before the lake turns over on the North end.

Best launch for the South end is Bemus Pt launch unless your boat is over 18' or so. The launch is pretty shallow there. It is just North of the bridge on the East side. Other than that Long Pt State park is a little further North but is the nicest launch on the lake (that is where I always launch). It can handle any size boat.

I am not really aware of any launches actually in the South basin, but the two I mentioned are very close.

toothyfishman
09-08-2009, 06:38 AM
There is a launch south of Lakewood..........
The town of Celeron, pretty nice launch, sounds as if your boat is smaller.
Good parking.
If not, launch where Adam mentioned.

I fish it a good bit, after the turnover I've struggled to catch fish on a regular basis. Slowly starting to put the puzzle together but before the turnover would be much better for you.

Larry Jones
09-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Adam,Very Nice Muskie for Chautauqua Lake! Now I know why you did not want to move to where I caught & released 5 fish Sunday.I'll be back up on Thursday thru Sunday,see you if you are back up!