PDA

View Full Version : paddle fish

b.bent66
09-09-2009, 02:14 AM
last night i caught a paddle fish at the tail waters, on a rapala.i know it hit the bait cause i had to unhook it. the fish was about 20" or so. the question i have is,i thought that these where stoked in the reservoir and not the river?

Red Childress
09-09-2009, 05:07 AM
You are correct, they did stock them in the Res but they slip through the gates and enter the river every now and then. I found 2 dead last year along Dixon Island and we photographed a 45-50 incher this summer swimming along the surface.........she was beat up pretty badly from her trip through the gates, I assume.

dawgfn78
09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I managed to hook one last summer on a nightcrawler tipped jig fishing from the landing at the tailwaters at night. Neat fish, 35-40" didn't have a tape on me though.

Snagged it close to the mouth, it came up head first, but the hook popped out just as I pulled it up on the landing, so I never could tell where it was hooked exactly. I'm still looking for the kid from Philly who took a picture of it and never bothered to email it to me, lol.

They are filter eaters, they do not chase baitfish or nibble on a nightcrawler. In areas where permissible, the only way they fish for them is by snagging.

I don't know if they are still asking for info, but I did give the PA Fish Com. a call after landing mine. They didn't seem to really care about anything other than "did you release the fish successfully?".

b.bent66
09-10-2009, 04:28 AM
the one i caught was hooked close to the mouth also right in the under side of its bill. i guess i could have snagged it. i know i read that they don't case down bait fish, that is another reason i was surprised i caught it. i wonder if they are curious and that is way they get caught. cause it sure felt like a hit to me.