PDA

View Full Version : Musky on the Fly, what else??

ttabaleulb
09-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Ok, I ended up takin a bit of time away from serious fishin for a while. The plan is to hit her hard for the rest of the year. I talked myself into purchasing a 10wt flyrod and threw some Airflo Forty Plus Coldwater line on it. All I have to say is HS, why have I been using anything else. LOL That setup throws every fly I have like I am casting a #20 midge on a 5 wt. Ok, not quite that easy, but an incredible upgrade. :)

I had the new rig out for a few hours over the weekend and just cannot get over the difference compared to what I had been fishing. I missed one fish (no idea what it was) and had another follow from a mid-30's fish. At this point, I'll take it. Plan to get some real fishin in this weekend and just pound it from there. Any of you fly guys out there that might be thinking of purchasing some line in the future, check this stuff out.

If I'm lucky, I'll be posting about my first Musky on the Flyrod in the near future. So far, my only 2009 goal that I have hit was getting my first on a Figure-8. That was fantastic. Must have gone around 4-5 times before getting bit. Lookin forward to many more of those.

Jay

Trauts
09-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Ok, I ended up takin a bit of time away from serious fishin for a while. The plan is to hit her hard for the rest of the year. I talked myself into purchasing a 10wt flyrod and threw some Airflo Forty Plus Coldwater line on it. All I have to say is HS, why have I been using anything else. LOL That setup throws every fly I have like I am casting a #20 midge on a 5 wt. Ok, not quite that easy, but an incredible upgrade. :)

I had the new rig out for a few hours over the weekend and just cannot get over the difference compared to what I had been fishing. I missed one fish (no idea what it was) and had another follow from a mid-30's fish. At this point, I'll take it. Plan to get some real fishin in this weekend and just pound it from there. Any of you fly guys out there that might be thinking of purchasing some line in the future, check this stuff out.

If I'm lucky, I'll be posting about my first Musky on the Flyrod in the near future. So far, my only 2009 goal that I have hit was getting my first on a Figure-8. That was fantastic. Must have gone around 4-5 times before getting bit. Lookin forward to many more of those.

Jay

You need to put that 10wt to use catching some Salmon!

OR big brown trout (see the new world record from Michigan thread!)

Good to see you are still alive and kicking!

FlyFishingCoach
09-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Jay,

I've not used the Airflo lines but I had the same kind of success with a RIO Striped Bass Intermediate Line. It cast like a bullet and turns over the big flies. It has become my favorite line for casting streamers and divers. I use a similar line for big trout too!! Based on your experience I may try an airflo next year. They use polyurethene finish where others use PVC (polyvinyl chloride) I'm interested to see if there is an appreciable difference.

I've not had much opportunity to hit the river this year with the high water and all. Now I'm heading out of town for a couple weeks and the river is finally in pretty good shape - my timing is impeccable!!

Good luck ... stick one for me!! I expect a picture by Monday!!

Gary

ttabaleulb
09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Trauts,

Yeah, those are some big fish, but their teeth aren't big enough!!! LOL

Gary,

Thanks, I sure hope to get a good shot at one soon. I definitely think it was a good move for me to go with the 10wt also. The 9wts were Ok, but now I see how big of difference there actually is. Its so much easier to cover water with much less casting effort.

By the way, I also ordered a couple of those Swimtrue Musky flies. I'll give a report on those once I get them and try them out. They look like a great idea for Musky!!

Jay

jah1317
09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
jay, when are you looking to come up this way, I will try to get you some fishies on cussewago..... Got a boat a few months ago and there is a seat waiting whenever you want to go. I want to see a musky on a fly!

Jacob

Trauts
09-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Trauts,

Yeah, those are some big fish, but their teeth aren't big enough!!! LOL

Dude...ever seen a salmon's kype up close?? Thet make musky teeth look small...of course a musky has many more of them!

http://www.alaskareport.com/images/king-salmon.jpg

ttabaleulb
09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, nice try with the salmon. But, the picture speaks for itself about the teeth. LOL

Jacob,

I'd definitely like to make it out your way, hopefully this Fall. I tried to save a couple of vacation days for some Fall fishing, so I'll definitely keep you posted. Yeah, I remember reading about the boat, congrats man, you gotta be loving that!!! And believe me, I'd like to see a Musky on the fly too. :)

Jay

Trauts
09-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, nice try with the salmon. But, the picture speaks for itself about the teeth. LOL

Jacob,

I'd definitely like to make it out your way, hopefully this Fall. I tried to save a couple of vacation days for some Fall fishing, so I'll definitely keep you posted. Yeah, I remember reading about the boat, congrats man, you gotta be loving that!!! And believe me, I'd like to see a Musky on the fly too. :)

Jay

That's not a musky! That's a dinosaur!

Red Childress
09-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Well Gary, looks like Jay followed your wishes and has a pic posted today!

Trauts
09-28-2009, 06:17 PM
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv179/dgawlak/092709PMsalmoncloseup.jpg
I think salmon stack up well in the tooth department!

ttabaleulb
09-28-2009, 06:37 PM
LMAO So this wasn't over I see!! Once again, nice try and I'll leave it at this. If you HAD to make a choice to be bitten by one of those fish, which might it be?? :P And don't even try to put a twist on it, I know you too well, just answer the question outright. LOL BTW, if you need me to magnify the Musky picture a little too, I'm sure I can do that. :D

Trauts
09-29-2009, 08:12 AM
LMAO So this wasn't over I see!! Once again, nice try and I'll leave it at this. If you HAD to make a choice to be bitten by one of those fish, which might it be?? :P And don't even try to put a twist on it, I know you too well, just answer the question outright. LOL BTW, if you need me to magnify the Musky picture a little too, I'm sure I can do that. :D

I will take being bitten by a musky thanks! No twist there...I haven't had a chance to HOLD a musky yet...so if I get bit by one it means I actually CAUGHT one!

ttabaleulb
09-29-2009, 08:56 AM
ROFLMAO I cannot argue with that logic!!!