PDA

View Full Version : Fall techniques?

rambler
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
OK Folks!
I am planning on breaking free to try for these big Fall Walleyes.
I could use some advice and would like to hear different people's best method's.
I understand the daytime bite is often the big redtail chubs. Do you prefer to fish them with Jigs or on a Lindy rig/slip sinker kind of thing? I would appreciate some details on weight of jigs and colors etc.
Are you drifing or slow trolling? Still fishing? Anyone use slip bobbers and anchor with their chubs? Do you vertical jig with these some or maybe even jig with spoons.
I have been reading recently about winter fishing with the Salmo Chubby Darter. Anyone to that vertically in the Fall bite?
What about a night bite? Some people still using chubs?
If you are trolling cranks, what type?
I saw one guy with a nice catch last fall trolling big husky jerks behind leadcore.
How many colors of lead to get down where you need to be?
Anyone use their downriggers for this?
Lots and lots of questions I know.
Hasn't been much posted lately so when I get up in the morning I want to be able to read a bit more and hopefully learn something.
Thanks folks!
Lloyd

The Bait Shop Guy
10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow, Rambler seems like a good choice for a screen name:D

Anyway. Yes, redtails are a good bait option this time of year, but don't forget about crawlers. The fish in this bay will hit crawler harnesses right until freeze up. I personally like the redtails because everything likes to eat them - bass, pike, and walleyes. I mostly run them on a Lindy rig with a single bead in front of the hook, (usually red or orange.) 3/4 to 1 ounce slip sinker (Lindy No-Snags.) Depending on the wind, I'll drift or slow troll the piece of structure I'm working, (usually the base of a steep breakline.)

The guys that jig will normally go with 1/2 to 1 ounce jigs. I guess any color will work sooner or later, but red seems to be the most popular. Be sure to add a stinger hook to your jig.

I've never talked to anyone that fishes them under a slip-bobber this time of year for walleyes, but I'm sure it could be done. They're also used almost exclusively during the day. I've heard of a few fish being taken on them after dark over the years, but casting or trolling with crankbaits is far more effective.

No Chubby Darters. They're too light to fish in deep water from a moving boat.

As far as crankbaits go, it's all over the board. There are lots of brands and tons of colors to choose from. To keep things easy, start with deep diving baits, (Reef Runners, Thundersticks, Husky Jerks,) in purple and gold colors. If you want to try leadcore, most guys start with 3 colors of 18 pound. It's best to run shallow running lures or crawler harnesses behind leadcore. Downriggers are an option, but are seldom used for walleye fishing. Typical downrigger releases don't work well with smaller fish.

If you are new to the crankbait game, do yourself a huge favor and pick up a copy of "Precision Trolling." It'll tell you everything and anything you've ever wanted to know about trolling crankbaits and has dive curves for all the most popular lures. They're a little pricey, ($49.95,) but you will use it every time you go out, and it will speed up your learning curve immensely.

Hope this helps.

rambler
10-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the info,
Now I have something I want to read this morning and good info for when I get out.
Lloyd