PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Swimbaits

Red Childress
12-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Has anyone tried the (relatively new 2009) Castaic Swimbaits??

I just saw a video of them in the water (again) and they look pretty darn nice.

Anzomcik
12-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Are you talking about the soft plastic, or hard?

I have used the soft plastic versions, they look real nice, but from my experence they do not hold up well after one, or two fish hit them. Have the glue handy.

But the hard plastics do look great i have not used those. That bass tackle have come along way. Now it is just a race to see who can have the most realistic bait out there, but the prices are outragous. I believe 3:16 lures has one out there thats 150$ but it sure looks good. Go to tacklewarehouse.com look for swimbait section and they are just over flowing with super real swimbaits with a price tag that makes you cry.

Now they have special split rings that are custom made to the wieght you want out of titianum. When the bait gets snagged you apply just over the rating of the ring for seven secounds and the ring gives out and you loose the hook but still have the bait.

Red Childress
12-13-2009, 09:23 AM
The soft ones.

Anzomcik
12-13-2009, 10:32 AM
I caught the biggest pike this year on one. It was earlie spring i was working a 4 inch throught a weed bed, then i hit what i thought was a snag. I still set the hook and the fish came unrooted. And a few trips around the boat, we did not have the big net with us (i was not in my boat) So my partner pulled it out of the water by hand. She was a wisker shy of 40 inch.

I really like the baits,alot. Some soft plastic swimbaits have poor quality control, these i found to be consistant and they preform. Be careful to watch the nose of the bait, the lead has a tendence to pull out after a few fish. So keep then glued up. I am happy with mine.