PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried 12v solar panel for ice shack?

crazyeyes
12-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I bought a 1.5 amp solar panel from northern tool and equip. last weekend. These are the type you put out on your dashboard and plug into cigarette lighter to charge/maintain your battery. It's about a foot long by 8 inches and I mounted it to my shack to maintain/charge the 12v light system I have in there. They're pretty cheap ($12-14). Has anyone had any experience with these things/do they work?

CrankYanker
12-14-2009, 07:15 PM
They work.... When its sunny! hahaha
The biggest problem will be maintaning a battery that is in subzero temps.. I wouldn't leave the battery in your shack for more than a few days without takin it home and givin it a good charge...The only thing is you use your battery at night for lights... no sun at night and the moon won't do a whole lot. Give it a try and let us know.. if anything you can top off the vex batt..

pure_joker
12-14-2009, 07:16 PM
I have one that is similar. 1.8a from a VW car. I kept mine facing south and not once did i have to take a battery in to be charged. I ran my lights, two muffin fans, and a Milwaukee radio 5+ time a week. You will be very pleased.

crazyeyes
12-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks, will let you know how it goes. PJ, sounds like you're using a car battery or something. I have an 8ah battery for a light strip. If I can get away with a daytime charge/night light operation, that'l be good. Here's to going green.