PDA

View Full Version : Lake Gogebic

mudpuppy
01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone. I'm heading to Lake Gogebic for the weekend and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice to give. As of now I'm kind of fishing blind since I've never been there.. I saw some monster perch caught there on Discovering the other night but i think they were catching em in March. Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

Ifishok
01-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah that video was shot last march and was replayed last night. Always a good watch.

Sorry no advice but to check the maps on the dnr website, they have 3 of em for lake Gogebic.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-30301_31431_32340---,00.html

mudpuppy
01-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm almost positive I have the map on my GPS but thanks.. If anyone knows what the ice conditions are like that would be nice to know too. I heard it was slushy with only 4-6 inches of ice but that seems hard to believe considering how cold it gets over there, but maybe all the snow kept it insulated?

pure_joker
01-05-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a buddy that has a cabin over there and told me that they only fish in Berglund Bay all ice long (strictly walleye). I went last year in the beginning part of Feb. and fished shallow (6-8') and we did great during the happy hours. That was with the morning at -35 and only getting up to about 10 above zero. From what I've heard, the ice isn't the best in the Bay yet but don't know first hand. Try looking at Maple Ridge Motel's website or Walleye Lodge for any reports.

mudpuppy
01-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Good info. Were staying at a cabin right off Berglund Bay so hopefully the Walleye action is good. I checked the weather and it's supposed be cold but not even close to 35 below, thankfully.. Did you do any good on tip ups pure_joker?

lbdn11.5
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I was there last year for the hog a thon I"ve never seen perch like that before I would bring tiny bobbers,small jigs,and set up a rod with a spring bobber and get wigglers Good luck

pure_joker
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
All of our action was on tip-ups. I was jigging for a while but gave up because it was all flags. Just used suckers, not much for size but lots of legal fish. I think our largest was 18", that was out of 4 guys and tossing back quite a few 15 and smaller.

FishinMachine
01-06-2010, 11:21 AM
please let us know on how the fishing goes! me and some buddys r trying to get a decent group of ppl to head up their the 3rd weekend of Fed. so any info on how you fished it will be great. Also does anyone know some cheap hotels near it because i plan on being up their for a full weekend

mudpuppy
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes..