PDA

View Full Version : Sonar class

tokenfinn
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I am thinking about teaching a class on using and interpreting your sonar unit at our local 4H Winter Break for Knowledge. What I am wondering is what people feel is the general level of expertise with these units. Do you think most people just turn them on and leave the fish ID on and all the settings on automatic and take it for gospel? Or do most people understand there is alot more to understanding and interpretting what you can do with a newer sonar units. I am a self proclaimed techno guru and think I have a pretty firm grasp of using my sonar unit. My main goal would be to help some people out with their sonar and to meet some other fisherman in my area. Any opinions?

jtourangeau
01-12-2010, 10:23 PM
A great way to meet fisherman in the area is to join the local fishing club.It also helps out the fishery.

WalligatorGetter
01-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow, that is a tough question. There are so many different levels of sonar proficiency. I am with you. I consider myself to be pretty good at reading/interpreting my sonar (the one for ice fishing). However, I take a lot of people fishing who haven’t the slightest idea. So, just how does a person determine what level the average “Joe Blow” of fishing is at? It's not hard to guess that Joe is definitely somewhere in between professional and illiterate, but I would think that he's maybe a bit more towards illiterate than professional, yet close to the mid point. Most professionals aren’t going to think that they need the class. Therefore, I would tend to think that the class would consist mostly of beginners, but that‘s just my opinion.