PDA

View Full Version : A Better Night.

WalligatorGetter
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
I went fishing tonight and did a bit better than I’ve been. I’ll guesstimate that I caught between 12 and 15 walleyes, three of which being keepers. The keepers were 16, 21, and 25 inches. They all came on my, go to, #9 FireTiger Rapala. I decided to go for the open water bite again. However, I was fishing a bit shallower than I’ve been – about 33 feet versus 40 or so. Being shallower, I didn’t mark many fish suspended like I’ve been. Most were within 2 feet of the bottom.
Of course, I also had tip-ups out the entire time. And, not to my surprise, not a single flag went up. That seems to be the trend this year. Chris hooked me up with some 4” shiners instead of the 5” suckers that I’ve been using, but I’ve fished twice with them now, in two different situations -- nothing. It was sure nice last year when I could usually count on adding one more walleye to my catch most nights.
Just out of curiosity, is there anybody out there who is actually catching fish on tip-ups? If so, could you share some info with me?
Thanks,

pure_joker
01-17-2010, 06:43 PM
I was catching them earlier in the season, actually got more on the tip-ups than jigging. think I got six vs. one jigging. Like I said, that was earlier and haven't been on the bay in about 2 1/2 weeks. Fishing just south of center reef using 3" and 7" suckers.

The Bait Shop Guy
01-17-2010, 07:56 PM
That's funny, the only bite I had tonight was on a tip-up with a 4 inch shiner, (lost that one!) Plenty of lookers on the jigs, but no takers!