PDA

View Full Version : truck broke through

fatdog
01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
well i was checkin out a new spot and found it. i drove my truck in a circle to mark the spot and splash. in went the front end. holy cow. i never had this happen before. so on the phone i went for a tow from my buddy. i got out in 20 minutes or so but the front left tire was almost all the way under with the front right half under. i was out in the middle of the bay 25 fow between kipling and the yellow gate. i will mark the spot tommorrow with a xmas tree i think.

jtourangeau
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd buy a lotto ticket,glad to hear your ok.

Frank S
01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear that everybody is safe. Wondering if the area looked any different than the surroundings or if there was any signs of a pressure crack? The ice can move around in a surprisingly short time, I saw solid ice open up to a 2' crack out from Terrace a few years back, had to drive my sled way north to get back across. Even right at the crack the ice was well over a foot thick. Must have been a scary experience for you.

HawgHeaven
01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Fatdog: I have been all over with my vehicle. Now you have me woundering I would realy like to know were this spot in the ice thats bad is. I will help you mark it very noticeably so know one else goes in and post the GPS cords. If you are willing please give me a call. Mark 428-3809

fatdog
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
i dont know the gps cords but will mark it for sure tommorrow. truck is fine, no water got in anywhere. but still the ice looks fine all over except this spot. no cracks or anything. ive been fishing the bay for years. i will make this spot visual to all. i do not want anyone to go in like me. be careful out there everyone and fish on.

raywriter
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Hard to say what to mark it with. People are attracted to markers. Between Kipling and Yellow Gate I saw a line of tag alder sticks marking something. Who knows what? One line was along the shoreline drop-off, while another went out toward Center Reef I think. At Yellow Gate I saw pine tree tops, boards with orange tops, and various sticks. People drive over to check them out. We need to agree on something we all recognize as a spot to avoid. I'd suggest a very tall (6' to 8') piece of tag alder with a black rag tied to the top. No branches, just a single tall pole and a rag. Stuff we all could carry with and use as necessary. Any other suggestions?

crawlerman
01-20-2010, 06:51 AM
On Lake Winnebago we use christmas trees laid down flat on the ice and put them in a line where the bad spot is. We also use the trees in an upright position to mark the roads which we don't have up here.

duckiller2
01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I would think that Red means STOP. Red flag on a pole means Danger. A good spot to cross pressure crack could be marked with something GREEN which means GO through here. Just my 2 Cents

Swamp Rat
01-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I think u could use some yellow caution tape raped around some tree branches. Just my thought.

HawgHeaven
01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Fatdog:

Did you have a gentleman help you hook up your truck to get you out.
Then I know were you went thru.

fatdog
01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
the spot is marked with xmas trees laying on the ice. theres tracks after me from a atv and a truck so do not go by the pine trees laying down. STAY CEAR. all bad area.

Walleye Quinn
01-20-2010, 08:46 PM
May I ask where is this spot marked North, center or south on the lake. Walleye Quinn...

fatdog
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
its between 3rd reef and center reef.

Walleye Quinn
01-20-2010, 09:07 PM
fatdog thanks for the heads up. walleye Quinn...