PDA

View Full Version : Vexilar Question

Ifishok
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I recently got a good deal on a vexilar fl-8 and I'm taking it out for the first time this weekend and I have a few questions... Keep in mind this is my first time with this wonderful technology

It was mounted on a boat before and came with the high speed triangle transducer, is this ok for ice fishing?

I would assume put the transducer towards the bottom of the ice, and does it have to be level? Whats a good float?

Any other hints or ideas would be great, thanks for your help!

anthony10092
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
I am not sure about the transducer that you have and if it would work for the ice or not. I have mine mounted on my boat with the same transducer that you are talking about and then the other for ice. You can buy an ice ducer transducer that just screws into the back. The one I have is a 12 deg. cone, and love it. I would assume that it might work but am not sure. Also, mine has foam float that slips onto the cable that is made by vexilar. I had to replace mine at the end of last season and think Gander Mountain charged around $10 for it (the float).

Here is vexilars site with the ice transducer: They are $79 for the ice ducer transducer
http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories/accy_transducers_ice.html

CrankYanker
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
You will probably want to buy the ice transducer... Keeping the other level will be very very very annoying, you'll be messin around with that more than fishing.. the ice ducers and float are perfect cause you can toss it out of the hole when a fish is on and toss it right back in when your lines on the way back down... Self levels
this may be why you got such a good deal... minor detail though

bottle_bass
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I have a FL-8 that came with my boat years ago. I had no idea what it was until my buddy told me and showed me how to use it. The transducer looks like his ice one, but the cord comes out of the side. I got a small wire rod about 18" and put a hose clamp around the transducer so it points down. I drilled two holes in a small board and ran the rod through one hole bent two 90degree angles and ran it down the other hole in the board. It works great and I have no problems with it. I cant stand fishing without it now.

packrat
01-22-2010, 10:36 PM
You may be able to get your hull mount to work for the time being.But you may want to invest in a " iceducer " they are available through Vexilar or they have a dealer list on their website www vexilar.com.Check out their tips page lots of good info and videos will explain how sonar works and many other questions you may have such as what degree transducer is right for you. Gander Mountian Marquette was one dealer listed if interested call them and see if they have any iceducer's in stock also they come complete with float and stopper. Good luck I know I don't go icefishing without my FL-18!