PDA

View Full Version : Escanaba River Area

DWB4X4
02-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Looking for information about ice access and general location to fish between Portage Point and the Escanaba River. New to LBDN area and don't want to make any "fatal" mistakes driving on the ice. Also looking for a bait shop in the general Escanaba area. THANKS

YooperTroll
02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
As far as a bait shop, you got to stop at Chris' place (On US 2 in between Esky and Gladstone). Good prices, good advice.

The Bait Shop Guy
02-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, YooperTroll

DWB4X4, ice conditions this year will not allow you to drive to those spots with a truck. You'll need an ATV or sled. Most guys are getting to the river by using the Terrace access, (just down the road from our shop.) Some park their trucks on shore, some on the ice, to unload their machines. There are some pressure cracks to drive around, but there is a pretty well established trail to follow down to the river. Guys are spread out all over down there, no need to be right at the river mouth. Ice can get bad at the river mouth. Don't go any closer to it than any of the shacks you see down there, and you should be OK. The better bite seems to be in the morning.

Most guys are reaching the area near Portage Point from the Escanaba beach house. There was a big open crack over the weekend just south of the point. We are supposed to have fairly strong North West winds the next few days, so I would use extreme caution fishing down there.

An icebreaker came into Escanaba last week, so it would not be possible to drive between the river and Portage.

Stop in the shop if you get a chance and I can show you the areas I'm talking about on the map. Nobody wants to go for a swim this time of year!