PDA

View Full Version : Off the yacht harbor...

tomjohn
02-24-2010, 05:37 PM
I was down at the yacht harbor yesterday and out off the end there were fisherman out by the icebreaker path. Does anyone know if they are getting any whitefish there. Someone on shore told me they were fishing in 80 fow. Does anyone know what kind of set ups and lures they are useing? I would appreciate any info anyone has.

CrankYanker
02-24-2010, 07:39 PM
They were yankin your chain if ya know what I mean... There is no 80 ft of water around there... maybe 60 at squaw but not 80.. I have caught a few earlier in the year accidently on raps... a good rig is a egg sinker set up to slip with a foot or so leader.. small plain hook with a dead minnow hooked in the lip.. set your spring bobber taught and wait.. meanwhile jig with another rod..

tomjohn
02-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks CrankYanker... I think I'm gonna try it there in a couple days. I will let you know how I make out.

CrankYanker
02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
TomJon... I lil light just flickered in the dark space where a brain is supposed to be..... You are talking of the Escanaba yacht harbor... I apologize I immediatly went towards gladstone (you can still tell where the breaker went through in december).....
On that thought yes there is lots of 80' and much more! ha wow... Anyway, Same meathod but chum them up good with some dead minnows.. Use the same holes over a few days.. use a 1/2 oz sinker to get down there fast.. let it sit on bottom jigging it once in a while. I have caught whities on spoons with whole minnows very close to bottom.. These ones tend to be the big ones in the bunch. I haven't been out there yet this year so let me know!

tomjohn
02-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Well I fished of the yacht harbor today. Very windy and no takers on the Whitefish. I did mark several fish on the bottom and some suspended about 40 feet off the bottom. I was in 82 FOW. If anyone has any luck on Whities give me a hollar.