PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry

duckiller2
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Caught this on Wens am in the upper bay Made it a good morning 22 inch Male

weekend jimmy
02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
what is that? Is it a tag of some kind? Nice fish anyway.

tomjohn
02-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I have seen a lot of those tags as I commercial fished for 25 years out of Fairport.

Bug Eye
02-26-2010, 02:03 AM
I caught a 29" walleye a couple years and it was jaw tagged. The Michigan DNR estimated it at 18 years old. Kind of makes you think twice about keeping those big fish for dinner, eh? I think more people would practice CPR if they knew this.

RudyG
02-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Is that because you think that 18 year old walleye is better to die in the lake and rot for Seagull food? Maybe you should let more 15-18" walleye go so they can live to be 18?

I think if you follow the regs set forth by the state and buy a license like the rest of us, you should be able to fish and eat what is yours... and not worry about what all the people that have there own agendas think, say what you should or shouldnt do, and judge you for what you keep for a meal.

Hey.. Nice Catch!!

walleyeguy
02-26-2010, 09:18 AM
A guy gets on this site and suggests we let go a 29" fish and gets jumped on. I am in total agreement with bug. 18 years to replace a fish is a lot of time and I choose to release most fish over 23", if they are able to be released, personal preference. There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting big fish go, I guess we can agree to disagree!!

Eyegetr
02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Do the natives practice catch and release? And WalleyeGuy it's easy for you to say to let the big ones go because you don't catch any!

walleyeguy
02-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Eyegetr,

You are a tool!!

I am simply pointing out the fact that if a person wants to let big fish go, he or she should be harrassed for doing so. I didn't think that he should have been hammered by fast Eddy.

For the guy that catches a big fish and wants to keep it, eat away, season that mercury and metals with a little lemon pepper!! HA HA

Eyegetr
02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I just wanted to agree to disagree!

RudyG
02-26-2010, 02:59 PM
"if a person wants to let big fish go, he or she should be harrassed for doing so."

I dont believe i was harrasing anyone.. just pointing out that because a person keeps it he has to listen to others talk how they wouldnt keep it.

I also dont have a problem with anyone practicing catch and release.. Thats their preference.. so be it. I too let fish go if I have what I need for eats.

Just tired of people saying its wrong to keep big fish because it takes too long for them to get that big. Also tired of everyone having something to say every time someone shows a big fish and doesnt say "I let it go". I dont care if you did or not. Congrats on the catch!

I let all Northern go.. my preferance. Guess that will raise discusion too.

duckiller2
03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Got a letter yesterday from Marquette DNRE with info on my tagged fish

Tagged 4-15-2009 Caught 2-24-10
21.4 inches when tagged 22 when I caught it
Est age was 8 years when I caught it
Tagged in Rapid River caught 1 mile east of the Days river

Kind of cool but I was hopping it had been tagged years ago Oh well Just have to catch another one.

RudyG
03-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I really was wondering about the particulars. Thanks for the info.

WalligatorGetter
03-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I thought it would have been more interesting than that. My uncle once caught an 18 inch walleye in the Escanaba River that was tagged a couple years earlier at Cedar River. Oh well, still cool to catch a tagged fish just the same.

duckc.1187
03-19-2010, 09:54 PM
think thats boring ive caught tagged walleyes on the wolf river in wis. that were tagged the day before or week before up river!! Kinda a waste of a tagg oh well still cool to get tags

Bug Eye
03-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Congrats on your fish. Does anyone know how many fish they tag each year?