PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers, Eelpout, Losh, Maria, Burbot???

slammer
03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey,
Just wondering if anyone has caught any lawyers lately and wondering if they are spawned out already. I know they generally spawn under the ice in mid to late February, but I wasn't able to get out at night for them during that time. I will have time this next week and just wondering if anyone has targeted them or not. If anyone has caught one in the last 3-4 days , it would help to know if they had spawned already. Thanks, Slammer!!!
By the way , they are called something different in different areas of the country. Eelpout in Minnasota, Maria in Canada, Losh in Sault Ste Marie and eastern states, Burbot is the real name I believe and Lawyers in our area .Any other names you know of that they are called besides the 5 in the title ?

WalligatorGetter
03-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I've also heard people call them ling. Can't help you on whether they have spawned or not though.

johnkregs
03-08-2010, 09:32 AM
i'd have to guess NO they are not spawned out based on the size of the bellies on the two i caught the other night.

slammer
03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey ,
Thanks Johnkregs for the reply. Gonna have to try some late night fishing , but thursday is the soonest I can get out. Hopefully I can still access the lake but this weather is not helping my mission. Seeing they haven't spawned yet , it must be real close. It would be fun to get a group out there and see what we can do. Thanks again, Slammer!!!!!!!!

bigfinn
03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Ive heard them called shoepac in munising

jtourangeau
03-11-2010, 01:00 PM
think I heard someone call em'' dogfish'' before