PDA

View Full Version : Pmtt

ChipVet
03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Ty is PMTT coming to the Flowage in August, I thought I saw it in a magazine but the Web site says TBA???

Talked to Wayne today he thinks lake will go out today or tomorrow, early.

Ty Sennett
03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Yes and yes. The PMTT is on the Chip in August and the ice is going out tonight on the Chip. By the morning there shouldn't be any ice on the lake with the exception of a little on the south bays and shorelines.

Snizz
03-31-2010, 08:50 AM
How do you think this tourney will affect the rest of the summer and fall fishing? I am sure local businesses are happy. Has a pro booked a date with you a week before the tourney :P?

Ty Sennett
03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't think it will effect fishing the rest of the year but you might see more traffic the two weeks prior to the tourney. I don't have any pros that hired me for the week before and probably wont. I used to take guys in the tournament out but don't anymore.

Later Snizz,

ChipVet
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Wayne and I are planning on fishing, gotta get him out once in a while. Are you fishing???

alonzo buck
03-31-2010, 01:08 PM
If I were ever elected emperor of this great country of ours, one of my first priorities would be to ban all types of large fishing tournaments. Outside of a temporary boost to the local economy (which is a good thing), they do nothing to serve in the best interest of our sport. If you buy into the crap that they put money back into the sport, there’s a bridge in Brooklyn I’ll sell you cheap. I’m just sick that they are coming to Duluth/Superior (a favorite musky fishery of mine) later this season. That is way too congested of an area for that amount of fishing pressure. I am hoping for extremely severe weather during the tenure of that tournament. Weekly “league tournaments” with buddies are great but these major events are bad news for local fisheries. Several years ago there was a major bass tourney on the Mississippi near La Crosse, and the Wisconsin & Minnesota DNR’s estimated the mortality rate on the releases at somewhere around 75%. In all fairness it was during a very hot dry spell and the fish were fairly stressed to start with, but this type of pressure is not needed. The PMTT does not serve in the best interest of our sport, PERIOD. There is nobody that will convince me otherwise on that one.

twells
03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Alonzo, I can repest your choice and view of tournament fishing and that nothing will sway your mind as you stated. However I think it is a great thing if done properly (any tournament for that matter). if you look at the Musky tournaments in the state (WMT and PMTT) they will not run a tourney during the month of July being the typical hottest month of the year. Granted August can be a scorcher also. But I do not see much of a difference having a tournament on a given weekend with probably 2 weeks of pre-fishing versus a couple of buddies or a league being out there every week doing essentially the same thing. If it is a league or a couple of buddies that always seems to grow to more people joinin them or participating. That is a weekly pressure added to the fisheries also. Majority of the people that fish these tourneys are competetive but also are very cautious on the catch and release of the fish they catch. Yes not all but a good majority of them do. Also if you look how much this sport has grown over the past 10 years I feel it is good exposure to the sport and how the fish are handled and care for them. Just imagine how some kids would be seeing all of these fancy boats going out and seeing some of the people they watch on TV. I still get excited about it myself. Tournaments are what they are to people and their views on them and I respect it but my choice is I enjoy them. I am not fishing it but parts of me would like to. I find the fun in challenging myself up against some of the best competetive angler in the country. Yes there are some anglers that could blow any of them away but don't fish competetive. Each is to their own on the matter. Good luck fishing this summer and enjoy the time on the water.

Ty Sennett
03-31-2010, 08:59 PM
You can debate tourneys until the sun comes up but most are good for the area and fishery. I'm not exactly sure how much goes back to the resource but if you look at the Hartman tournaments for instance, they have done more for Minnesota waters than you can possibly imagine. You can see what has been stocked by looking it up online. i think it's MNmuskietrail.com or something to that effect. They have all of the muskies that were stocked due to a certain percentage of the entry fee going toward rearing ponds.

So, are tourneys good or bad?...................depends on how you look at them.

Esox67
04-01-2010, 06:40 PM
I have to think it will make my annual vacation that starts August 14th pretty interesting...

Indigoiguana
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Ty, you just said rearing... see you soon.

Mike & Kevin

jkahler
04-01-2010, 11:49 PM
I have to think it will make my annual vacation that starts August 14th pretty interesting...

The only week I could get off from work in August was that week. No thanks. I think I'll dissapear in Sept to avoid it at home as well.

Esox67
04-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Personally I do not like tournaments, and as Ty notes above, I perhaps do not like this one more because my annual vacation starts on August 14th on the chip.

Snizz
04-06-2010, 10:04 AM
TY! are you fishing in this tourney? We are thinkin about signing up for it...a shot at 20k, with home water advantage...The Chooch and I would win for sure! Got any dates open that week? :P

No seriously...

Ty Sennett
04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Esox67, the tourney hours are over at 5 on Saturday which is the day you arrive. I'm guessing you can't get into your cabin until the afternoon Saturday. Sunday the tourney is over at noon so sleep in and the rest of the week will be just fine. Also, there is a lot of water that is off limits so you can fish those areas for the couple hours that the tourney is going on. You wont see any effects from the tourney. There are only a few fish caught so it doesn't change your outcome. Fishing on the Chip changes from week to week so drastically that you'll see a whole different class of fish show up on your week.

Snizz, I'm fishing it with Stella the one eye'd fella'. We've got some friends coming up that week so I don't know if I can take you out if in fact you were serious but I'll check.

Snizz
04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
We're in! I feel like I'm Maverick, you're Viper, and Chooch is the guy who gets ejected into the roof and we're in the F'd up school...

Ty's saying, "Holy shewt it's Snizz and the Chooch!"

(20 to 28 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4UJI2W5RQ4

HAHA! Saaaaaaaaaaaweet!

What's your address? I'll mail you some Mitchum cuz I can see you are already starting to sweat!

jkahler
04-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I'll just leave this here.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/inferno715/wingman.jpg

Jason L.
04-08-2010, 12:20 AM
jkahler,

too funny! best post ever!

Ty Sennett
04-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh you guys are just too funny for your own good. Actually that was pretty good. The only problem is my PMTT partner Stella being the navigator of the fighter jet with the one good eye. Scary!