PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the weeds?

titanguy
05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
So my family has a place on the Chip and I have been fishing the lake more and more every year. I always see posts and hear people chattign about people fishing in the weeds. Here are a couple of questions....

What kind of weeds are we talking....grass that sticks above the water? Thick patches of milfoil? What should I be looking for?

What techniques work for the weeds? Pitch beetle spins into them? aboved them? Jig right into the weeds or above the weeds?

What baits/lures are best and least troublesome in the weeds?

Any answers would be great.

Ty Sennett
05-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I assume you are talking walleye because you mentioned beetle spins but for the most part this is the same for muskie as well as walleye. Try the outside weed edge for the most part. The area where it drops into deep water. This usually works well on most spots but when the weeds are deep enough you can literally fish right over the top of them. What kind of weeds doesn't matter as much as how high they are or how fresh they are. Each weedbed should be fished differently according to how high and what kind of weeds they are. Most of the time you have to fish the outside of the milfoil but can fish over the top of other weeds.

titanguy
05-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the info Ty. I was talking about walleye fishing. I am yet to catch the musky fever. I have musky gear, that I decided to buy when my dad bought a place on the chip. But honestly I prefeer to chase walleyes whenever possible, and if they are not biting I will take the ultralight and seek out sunnies and crappies. I am headed up on the 14th for the weekend with a group of guys that have never been on the chip, so keep the reports coming.

Downsouth
05-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I am yet to catch the musky fever. I have musky gear.

Don't take this as just being a wise-a**...but 'catching the Musky fever' happens AFTER you catch a Musky, not just having the gear! :)