PDA

View Full Version : Drisco/Minneapolis Shoals

Captain Ahab
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey Guys/Gals,

First off I want to wish everyone a safe and enjoyable opener on Saturday.

I've fished Little Bay de Noc each June for approximately 10 years. Generally my successful trips have come north of Gladstone, and more specifically in the northern reaches of the bay (no secret there, it's normally pretty busy up that way).

Last year I noticed an article concerning fishing off the Minneapolis and Drisco Shoals. I believe the article was written by an FLW pro. In the article he didn't mention when he fished the shoals, only that he used crawler rigs and caught larger than average fish. He also didn't mention where he launched at. Anyone fished out there? Any info on fishing these would be appreciated... I think my curiosity is larger than my kahunas, 11 miles out of Esky is alot of water for my boat. Thanks!

-Mike

jtourangeau
05-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Ive never had luck out there till the water warms up.Usually the baitfish move in round july and the fish will follow.Id say at least 62F.Ive tried many times earlier,just wasted gas and time.Think the last flw was here in mid july of 07.If you go,send me a pm...good luck on the opener. jt

WalligatorGetter
05-11-2010, 05:20 PM
I’ve only been there a couple of times. It is a pretty far ride for my grandpa’s 16-footer. It is a couple miles closer from the Ford River than it is from Esky, but with the low water this year I’m not even sure we’ll be able to get out of the Ford with anything bigger than a canoe. We’ll have to see; I haven’t been there yet. Therefore, I would probably launch from Esky and put up with the extra two miles simply because of the added luxury that the Esky launch provides.

As for fish, in the couple times that I’ve been there I didn’t do very well. I lost one big fish and caught one small steelhead. However, it was right after a massive cold-front and the fish seemed to be shut down everywhere. I would like to try the shoals some more this year because I really didn’t give them a fair try last year.

I have always heard of them being a top-notch spot in mid-summer (June-September), but I really don’t know much about that either. I hope somebody else can help you more on this one.

Also, try "cojonas". Google will translate that much better.:rolleyes:;)

Best of luck to ya. I wish I could be more help.

Captain Ahab
05-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks JT and walleyegatorgetter, I'll be sure to let you both know if I get the "cojonas" to make it out that way.

Hey I heard a rumor that someone (no idea if it's county or state) had some plans in place to work on the launch at Farmer's Dock near Stonington. Any idea on if/when this would be done? I'd launch on that side just for an excuse to drive through that scenery.

jtourangeau
05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Its done,I've only used it with my quad once icefishing .I live in escanaba so I use the launch there or ford river.I did use the ford launch this spring with no trouble .I have a few waypoints to follow on the gps though.jt