PDA

View Full Version : Past Weekend

sjguzin
05-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Came up Thursday morning and left Sunday afternoon. After couple days of tents blowing over and poor fishing, we were greeted with beautiful weather and more poor fishing remainder of the weekend.
My group caught quite the buzz everyday but very few fish, couple bass and little northerns. Our only luck came on Saturday evening, caught 10 walleye and missed some more. Fatheads and crawlers were being used with jigs. Put them all back, they ranged from 12-15". Fishing the ledge of a big sandbar. Bite didn't start till 1/2 hr before dark. So, I figure we'll just have to start sleeping all day and fish all night!
Now I have another year of waiting anxiously to get back there... I think one of these years we'll have to hire a guide so we know what the heck we're doing!!!

Hot Runr Guy
05-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Came up Thursday morning and left Sunday afternoon. After couple days of tents blowing over and poor fishing, we were greeted with beautiful weather and more poor fishing remainder of the weekend.
My group caught quite the buzz everyday but very few fish, couple bass and little northerns. Our only luck came on Saturday evening, caught 10 walleye and missed some more. Fatheads and crawlers were being used with jigs. Put them all back, they ranged from 12-15". Fishing the ledge of a big sandbar. Bite didn't start till 1/2 hr before dark. So, I figure we'll just have to start sleeping all day and fish all night!
Now I have another year of waiting anxiously to get back there... I think one of these years we'll have to hire a guide so we know what the heck we're doing!!!

You hit it right on the head, we've had more success around sunset than any other time of day. Had this very conversation recently with Doc Sabec about a late-evening trip, he's more than willing to schedule a trip around that timeframe.
HRG

DonH
05-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Our group has a term for that time period. We call it "The Window". We actually plan for the window a couple of hours beforehand. Depending on the days weather, wind, etc. we'll decide where each boat is heading and keep in touch via radio for any really hot bites. We've pretty much given up predawn fishing as it doesn't compare to that evening low light period.