PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman's Landing Question

DebLen
05-19-2010, 12:43 PM
With the water level down, does anyone know whether the Fisherman's Landing launch is OK for launching. We've got a 16' boat with a tilt motor, but our vehicle isn't 4-wheel drive. Thanks for any info you can give me. Tight lines.

Flambeau dreamer
05-19-2010, 05:25 PM
No problems.... I have a 16' mirrorcraft and a tilt motor.....easyI am 4wheel drive capable, althouth only engage it when the waves are pounding, or its raining.
Should be good
chris

Don Pemble
05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
DebLen,

All is not that well at Fisherman's Landing as the Dreamer Guys says, it all depends on the size and weight of your boat (Rig) etc, if you don't back in to load your boat just right, and if you don't have 4 wheel drive, you will have problems, there is so much sand built up on the ramp from power loading that it is creating a problem if your not centered properly, I have assisted a few anglers in the last couple of days with front wheel drive vans that were stuck on the ramp, big boat versus little vans just don't make it. All it would take from the DNR is to hire a backhoe to remove the overflow of sand and make it simple to get the job done, but then again, all it would take is to back your trailer in a little further and let your boat drift onto your trailer with a little power surge, problem solved.

LundAngler
05-19-2010, 10:42 PM
The biggest culprit depositing sand on the ramp is the wind. Fisherman's landing is perfectly situated to get hit with big waves when the wind is out of the southwest. I spoke with Dennis the Ranger 3 years ago, and I just happened to catch him (and 2 other DNR people) that day with a front end loader scooping out the fisherman's landing ramp. He said on the very windy days, big waves wash sand onto the ramp. That particular day, the sand was several feet deep. I use the landing regularly, but have only had trouble one time (it just happened to be that day). Dennis and the other gentlemen had chest waders, and helped me get my 16' Lund unloaded. I have a 4X4, so I normally don't have trouble. But, when the flowage is low, the concrete ramp is too short, and if you back off the end of the concrete, you're stuck! I'm assuming that the windy opening weekend is responsible for the current state of the landing.

Don Pemble
05-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Note to all,

Fisherman's Landing was taken care of today, when I returned from my fishing trip today, I was surprised to find the landing had been cleared off, and with no winds to speak of, it should remain in good condition for awhile. Had no problem pulling the boat out, thanks to who ever done a beautiful job.