PDA

View Full Version : May 21 trip to LBDN

Chris78
05-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I am coming up this Friday the 21st and was wondering if anyone can help me with what the walleye are biting on floating jigs, harnesses, leeches? Here is what my plan is so far, I want to jig with half of a crawler in front of the Gladstone beach from 4:30 am till about 7:30 then go east of first and second reef and try drifting with floating jigs or pull some harnesses through that area!!! I appreciate any help to make my 3 day weekend enjoyable, I am not asking for anyones honeyhole just pointed in the right direction with colors and depths... Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bait Shop Guy
05-20-2010, 05:38 AM
My dad and I tried several different games last night. Started out pulling crankbaits over shallow weeds, looking for pike and walleyes. Caught a couple small pike doing that. Then we went looking for some perch off of Saunder's Point. Still not enough wind to push them onto the breakline. Finally headed up to the north end of the bay to try drifting for some walleyes. No secret where to fish up there, just look for all the boats! People are drifting or trolling with live bait rigs right on the bottom in anywhere from 18 to 45 feet of water. We only fished for about an hour in 18 to 24 feet, up by the Days River. I started with a purple/glow floating jig, and my dad was running an orange floater with a copper blade. Both were tipped with half a crawler. He caught a huge sucker, 2 walleyes, and lost a third before I even had a bite. I'm not too smart, but I catch on quick! After I tied on a similar set-up, I finally landed two and lost a third, (all short fish.) Dad landed one more after that. He ended up with two nice 18-19 inch eaters. 7 walleyes in an hour isn't too bad in my book.

Your plan seems as good as any. Let us know how you do.

Chris78
05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Well our trip was successfull in catching numbers but we struggled with size, between the two days we were there we boated 42 walleyes but only 10 keepers, its good to see the smaller walleyes though. We stayed away from the parade of boats to the north and fished from Saunders point to first reef in 24-27' of water green, orange floaters in the afternoon with a half of a crawler then we switched to harnesses towards dark and had good luck with glow blades and glow beads, and chartuese blades with glow beades all in all a fun trip. We plan on coming back in the beginning of July, I want to thank all the people in the Gladstone area that made our trip very pleasurable!!!!

JBovay
05-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Nice to hear the positive attitude even though you didn't catch all keepers. As far as the parade of boats up north, it looks worse from a distance, but once you get up there you would have seen that there is actually a lot of room and there are many areas to try out. That is not the case if you try the mouth of the Whitefish at dusk. Now that looks like a zoo sometimes.