PDA

View Full Version : North wind techniques and areas

rambler
05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
OK guys,
I know that North winds are believed by most to slow down the fishing in LBDN but all people don't just quit fishing in those conditions. What are your favorite techniques and areas to fish in the North wind, cold front conditions?
Some people are boating some fish then I am sure.

needham
05-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I am currently fishing Little Bay. Last night my boat and my friends boat limited out. and caught a few more walleye and Pike, we didn't keep the little one or the pike. the avg fish is 18 - 22 inches.
If your not willing to fish late at night your going home skunked. the fish started around 11 pm both Tuesday and Wed. eve. most fish caught around midnight to 130 am.
I troll around 1.5 to 1.8 mph and I am using Rapala's husky jerk hj-14 glass minnow and I caught 8 out of 10 walleyes on that lure last night. the other lure I used was a # 18 Rapala black and silver.
good luck fishing guys.
Walleye shadow.

WalligatorGetter
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Well, Rambler, I would say that north winds/cold fronts are some of the most difficult situations you could face on this bay, but it sounds like you already know that. When the north wind blows like it is right now, it is not uncommon for the water to cool down 10 or even 15 degrees in a matter of a day or two. Naturally, that is going to take its toll on the fish’s activity levels.

I would tend to agree with needham, if at all possible, fish at night. If you do fish at night, the same stuff that you did or I have been doing should continue to work, just probably not as well. I might catch 4 or 5 fish instead of 18.

However, if you’re not the kind of person that likes losing sleep to catch fish, it is definitely still possible to catch a few. The tournament guys do, so obviously it is possible. It is just going to be more difficult, and it is currently more than what I’m capable of as a walleye angler, at least to catch tournament-like limits.

I’m sure that a person could still go up to the head of the bay and catch the dinks that are up there. With that dirty water the fish up that way seem to be less effected by weather changes. However, if it is the big fish down south that you want, the kind that make for winning tournament baskets, I would say that the best thing would be to just keep plugging away at them. They are going to be inactive, and they will probably be lying right on the bottom. I would try fishing in deeper water because I think the fish in 25 feet are going to be less effected by the weather change than fish in 10 feet, unless you can find dirty water. Crawler harnesses with bottom bouncers trolled very slowly, say 0.8, might produce. I always like to keep something up a little higher as well. Maybe a 1 ½ oz in-line weight set to run 8 feet off the bottom.

This is just the stuff that I would try. I don’t know anything. Currently, the only way that I can catch walleyes in the daytime with any consistency is under ideal conditions.

rambler
05-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the observations guys.
I wonder what details good pros would use? What am I missing. I am from Minnesota originally and it was common to fish slip bobbers with most often leeches but sometimes minnows or even crawlers. If I could locate a good school of fish I would be tempted to do that with a rod or two and maybe jig something to wake them up, but that is a pipe dream. The fish seem to be too scattered most often, and trolling, as you suggest Walligator at least presents your offering to more fish potentially. It is amazing how tight those fish hold to bottom, I have a new H'bird 997 SI and sometimes it is unbelievable how many fish have seemingly dug a hole to sulk in.
It is my hope to learn enough to tickle these fish into biting on at least a somewhat regular basis during the day. I am sure it can be done, I see others doing it. It won't happen unless I try sometimes. and try......and try...........and