PDA

View Full Version : Little Bay or Big Bay

GlennD
05-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone just signed up here ! Great Forum !
Looking for a little help. We're coming up to Escanaba on the 19th thru the 23rd. I haven't been up to Little Bay to fish since 2001 ! We came up in the middle of June that year and did real good on the reefs in the Little Bay. We'll have a couple ladies with us so we're hoping those fish stay up in the Little Bay that late. Does it look like they're going to still be up there or are things running a little ahead of schedule this year to push them out into the bigger water. Also a friend of mine said Big Bay can be real good also but I've never been over there. Thanks for any help Glenn

Bill.G
06-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey glenn Id say that seems like a good time to be pulling or drifting harnesses on lbdn. As long as mayflies are not in full force up there. Should be some really good fishing. Contact the guys at sall marr resort and they will help you out

The Bait Shop Guy
06-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi Glenn. The fishing in the bay is normally good until about that third week of June, (right when you are coming up.) That's about the time the alewives move into the bay to spawn, and the mayfly hatches get into full swing. There' so much natural food out there, it's hard to compete with it. You can still catch fish, but you have to work a little harder. Downsizing to smaller blades on your harnesses, or no blades at all, with only a half or third of a crawler can produce. There's usually still a good trolling bite in the mouth of the Escanaba River at that time. Try pulling #8 Husky Jerks, Micro Challengers, or Rebel Wee-R Crayfish in bright colors in 3 to 5 feet of water. They're mostly small, (right now, 1 in 10 is a keeper,) If you're more interested in keeping the gals entertained than catching a lot of eaters, then it can't be beat! Good bass and pike fishing at the mouth of the river, too.

Good luck.