PDA

View Full Version : Time to Renew Cell Phone

Musky63
06-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Frank / All

It is time for me to renew.

What cell phone service gives the best coverage of LOW?

jimmyb
06-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Verizon, seems to work the best by far.

Jimmy

jhillman17
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
yeah, unless some new towers have been put up, Verizon is the only "major" carrier that I know works up there.

NETim
06-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I go up there to get away from that damn phone. I can't wait until I retire and can "retire" that frikkin' thing.

The only question that remains to be answered is what is the best "retirement" caliber for the phone. I have a feeling that a 70 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip out of my trusty old Model 70 .243 will do the job nicely.

3500 fps of "no coverage." heheheheheheh

Illinois Dennis
06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
VERISON IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. Had Sprint, not good, period. Others have had AT&T, not much better. If you could get a signal, you would loose it within a minute; makes for short phone conversations.

I travel all over US and Canada, Verison is the only carrier that works- everywhere. Sprint had issues even in Arkansas! Same goes for the cell-cards for the laptop; Verison works and the others might work the 1st time, with limited useability. Then next time you go to connect....nada, nothing.

I don't think anything has changed, but maybe someone else has a different experience.

dpear
06-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Only Verizon for me.

Mr Musky
06-04-2010, 09:48 PM
In the past 7 years up there, I have never once had a signal with AT&T (used to be Cingular) im tickeled to death that my clock on my phone works!! When we get back in Warroad, full bars. My buddies phone works everywhere but not sure what he has.

Craig

anglefisherman
06-04-2010, 10:53 PM
When they put the tower at the angle up it was Unicel. Verizon has purchased Unicel awhile back. When Unicel owned the tower acess was limited especially for trac phones which I tried before getting a contract with Unicel. My neighbor now has a tracphone which works well i hear. When Unicel sold to Verizon our contracts went to Verizon which we have now and work well. The Canadiens have in the last year put a tower up fairly close to us as now our phone will roam with a signal on the Canadien side which it didn't do before. Nice to have a better signal and will gladly pay the roam charge for a emergency. I remember the day we got cell phone coverage and satellite tv then high speed internet. So much for isolation and welcome to the new world. Get Verizon!

DSmith
06-05-2010, 08:08 AM
I have Verizon for years and do not plan on changing. In fact, I have convinced other friends to make the switch. I also have the canadian plan attached to my phone so I don't have to worry about excess charges. Very few places where it does not work.

dougj@wiktel.com
06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Verison also has a plan if you want to make calls from Canada. For $10.00/month you have full coverage in Canada with no roaming charges. I cancel this in the winter months and pick it up again in the spring.

Works well. Pretty good coverage on the lake, however, there are some blind spots.

Doug Johnson

bobh
06-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Have Verizon. Works pretty good. Had no service at Soldiers Point last weekend. Had full coverage at Flag Island. Doubt if I will activate land line this summer. Kind of a bummer after all the expense Wikstrom went to to put in the lines, etc,

Like a friend once said "If it is really important, the sherrif will come and tell you".