PDA

View Full Version : Boat Color

lowbidder
06-06-2010, 07:06 PM
I've searched the forum and found a lot of discussions dealing with bait colors, but I was suprised to not see anything about boat colors. Is that because it's a dumb question? I dunno.
Traditionally, most of the river boats I've seen are of the green, khaki, tan variety, but what about a white boat? Would any of you be wary of fishing for musky out of a white boat? I don't see any problems with it, but I just wanted to get some opinions.

Anzomcik
06-06-2010, 08:32 PM
I would not be. Heck lookin up from the bottom it might look like a cloud.

lowbidder
06-06-2010, 09:24 PM
True... and the more I think about it, guys in the tropics fish for the wary bonefish in gin clear water 2' deep with white skiffs.

SportJet120
06-07-2010, 02:19 AM
My opinion I do not think the boat color matters as far as muskies. They follow 8's within inches of a boat an that doesn't seem to bother them. I think noise from the boat is far more important than color. Again the more pressure a place has the more the fish get used to it.

Red Childress
06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
There was a pretty informative thread about this on MH site last year, I think. Maybe do a search for it. If my memory is correct, light blue and white bottoms had gotten the nod from a few guides/hardcore musky nuts cuz they had noticed a difference in converting followers over the years based on the bottom hull color.

RapRunR
06-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I always thought whenever i get a boat i would have my daughter paint a big white puffy cloud on the bottom of it so it looks like any other cloud passing over them. Then it would be "camouflaged ". It would work i think especially for drifting over the "smart" fish.

toothyfishman
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
We have to all agree on a color so I can use it to tell the wife I need a new bigger jet.....one big enough to paint clouds on.....:)

I've had enough of them bump into the boat or trolling motor I don't think they care if they want to eat a bait. A fish not wanting to eat but you get it to may be a different story,.

Red Childress
06-10-2010, 10:01 AM
It appears that when the fish are looking straight up at the boat (with the sunny skies as the backdrop and in semi-clear water), the color will be irrelevant cuz the boat will cast a shadow and have a very dark silhouette. If the fish is at boatside turning on the 8 or something, the color could come into play much more, IMO.

Watching scuba divers play with Great Whites the other nite and paying attention to the fish's view looking up at the boat overhead, the boat just looks like a big shadow/silhouette. No real color stood out at all.

I am guessing the depth of the camera man was at least 25-30 feet.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Just paint a school of baitfish on the bottom!