PDA

View Full Version : Sun. 6-6 On The Bay

raywriter
06-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Results of today's trip were about typical for the past week or so on the bay. Stopped at Bayview for worms, crawlers, & perch minnows at 7 a.m. Toured the west bank breakline starting south of Gladstone, watching the locator until perch were spotted. Anchored well upwind with two anchors on 75' ropes & still got pushed off spots occasionally. Fished double hook perch rigs and cast jigs in 10' to 20' of water at a bunch of spots along the way. Occasionally used slip float rigs as well.

We landed about two dozen perch, four walleyes (mostly small), several nice smallmouth bass, a three pound sucker, a five pound white amur (sheepshead), and four pike. Also missed about as many fish as we caught (good hits but no solid hook-up.) We kept sixteen perch with the largest at 12 1/2". At the end of the trip while trolling in I had a hit so hard I thought it was a snag until it started moving and making long runs against the drag. I worked it back to the boat, but it stayed deep, then suddenly cut the twenty-pound test braided line I was using, and was gone (Spiderwire 20# test, 10# diameter.)

I suspect it was a pike in the 40" range or more, but I just don't know for sure. The fact that it was able to saw through that super-tough line makes me believe it had sharp teeth like a pike. It hit a purple, one-ounce Lewis Rat-L-Trap.