PDA

View Full Version : Moonrise/Sunrise for Saturday

Red Childress
06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Moonrise and sunrise are within 7 minutes of each other tomorrow plus the new moon.....hmmmm.

SportJet120
06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Does this mean that the gravitational pull on the earth should be at its greatest and should be ideal for fishing despite the elevation and water conditions of the upper Allegheny? So the best fishing time is say around 5:33AM (moon rise)? Sunrise 5:41AM How many guys have had good luck with moon phases and rely on it for increased fish activity? Do you think that conditions play a much greater part in fish activity than say moon phases? Of course when they all come together the odds are in your favor. JUST THINKING ????? Gary

Red Childress
06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes, if you buy into the moon phase ideal. The closer moonrise/moonset is to to sunrise/sunset (respectively), the feeding window is intensified. Since MR and SR are so close together tomorrow morning, the fish should be jumping in the boat, theoretically. :)

It is likely that "lake" fish will be more affected by this than river fish, if at all. Local weather trumps everything, however.

Food for thought: If all 1 million musky fisherman pull up to their favorite spots and fish tomorrow morning between 5 and 7am, there will definitely be more muskies caught in that 2-hour period than any other time the entire day. Is this a result of MR, SR, MS, SS or just probability??

muskyjerk
06-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Sunrise- ideal low light condition. moonrise- another positive factor. approaching storms- seems the planets are lining up. Water dropped 1 foot at Warren last 24 hours- Hmmm?

When I walleye fished alot the overhead and under foot moon as well as on the horizons seemed to be times when I caught fish. Hours at night w/ minimal action then bang- lots of bites. Sometimes the peak period was dead only to be follow by steady action right after the period was over.

If I know a peak period is coming like MR, MS, SS, SR I do fish w/ more confidence but an approaching or post thunderstorm seems to get my blood pumping. Other then that it's the overall picture- Sunlight, waterlevel, time of year, etc.

SportJet120
06-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Fish Thoughts for Saturday

lowbidder
06-12-2010, 06:20 AM
I'm sure major and minor times have something to do with fishing success, but it can be so complicated when factoring that in along with weather fronts, water rising/falling, water temps, spawn, clear skies, night bite and PWC pressure...etc.
With my work schedule, I just get out whenever I can! I don't give a hoot what the conditions are. I think John Denver said it best..."I fish when I can and I work when I should... thank god I'm a country boy". That's how the song went.. right?? Haha.

muskyjerk
06-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Just noticed that the Moon rise/ sunrise scenerio wouldn't hava panned out for Saturday. According to thw Musky Hunter/ Joe Bucher Calender the peak is 1 1/2 hour before the moonrise putting the entire period before the sunrise which happened 7 minutes before sunrise. The positive here though may be an increased window of oppertunity by almost combining the moonrise and sunrise periods (with 7 minutes when you should eat breakfast between the two periods).

Sunday morning does overlap the two periods with the moonrise being 1hour,1minute later than the sunrise.

In Pittsburgh these periods are generally 20 minutes later than listed because of the distance between us and the east most border of Eastern standard time. You can figure out your time difference by using the longitude (up/ down lines) on a map and there distance from the east most border. I can't remember the exact equation since I did this in 2001 and since the 20 minute difference was all that mattered. Sorry.

Red Childress
06-13-2010, 07:08 PM
What he said......:)

SportJet120
06-14-2010, 01:00 AM
:confused:I am still trying to figure out how to set the time on my VCR.

Red Childress
06-14-2010, 09:21 AM
The water dropped over a foot on Friday/Saturday morning and the musky fishing was horrible. We raised 1 fish the entire weekend. Things were tough in my boat for sure.

lowbidder
06-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Tell me about it...
My wife and kids are on vacation so I've finally got some free time to fish like I want to. I've put in 19 hours over friday, monday and tonight on 2 different rivers. I've spotted half a dozen fish and only got one of them to lazily follow for a few feet! Talk about frustrating :confused: Since this is my first spring/summer musky fishing, the second guessing is in high gear.

Red Childress
06-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Stole this from MHM site.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services/rs-one-year-us