PDA

View Full Version : anyone can give imfo on srarcraft islander

propman
06-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Thinking about buying a islander, its used i/o 120HP , 19ft / 9.9 kicker .all set for salmon fishing. I just worder if a 19ft is big enought for fairpoint and green bay. let me know what you think. Thanks Propman

tomjohn
06-12-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm from Fairport and a 19' is plenty big enough.

liv4upoutdoors
06-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Yes its big enough. You can always go bigger and expect to go out in rougher conditions but what fun is it when you can steer, can't stand or have a dangerous time setting poles. With the smaller boat you have to pick and choose your days. But 19ft is big enough for most good fishing days.

RudyG
06-13-2010, 07:59 AM
From the folks I know that own Islanders, That boat will be perfect for you. I think if that Islander cant handle the waves you shouldnt be out in the weather anyway. Like the previous post.. If its that bad that it gets difficult to stear and stand...you arent having fun anyway. Nice thing about the 19' is, if your chasing eyes, its shadow wont be quite as alarming and it would be much easier to handle on a solo trip.

Post some pics when you get it.. love lookin at them. Very versitile.
IMHO

otee
06-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I own a 19 ft. fiberglass with a cuddy and I fish at Fairport all summer! If you can be out in a 25 ft. or bigger, you can be out in a 19 ft. The only thing about the Islander is they are light on the water and wind greatly effects the handling of that boat.

Frank S
06-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Make sure the transom is in good shape. Depending on the age, the bellows on I/O engines might either have a leak or maybe leaked in the past. I would want to take a ride in it, check for any water. For the most part, Starcrafts are a good boat, but many older boats can experience transom problems from the wood being saturated. The older OMC outdrives can be expensive to repair due to parts not being available. Go for a good sea-trial, check the lights, bilge pump, etc., if the seller is reluctant, that is a bad sign. Don't settle for hearing it run in the driveway. Good Luck, they are a nice boat.