PDA

View Full Version : Did You Lose A Jigging Rap?

raywriter
06-13-2010, 05:26 PM
A friend kept a 34" pike today (we released 10 others), and we got a nice bunch of perch. While cleaning the pike he checked the stomach contents and found a # 7 or #9 Jigging Rap in the parrot color (blue,yellow, orange). The lure was possibly from this winter, and was still in good condition. The pike was in great shape as well, and cleared the water in a splashy three foot jump at one point.

tomjohn
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Not to be nosey raywriter....But about some info on the perch?

Tomjohn

slammer
06-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Yeah , that was mine!
Thanks for finding it, I was wondering what I was gonna use next winter!!!
Slammer!!!

springfield
06-14-2010, 09:01 AM
If it has a hook on each end & a treble in the middle it MUST be the one I lost! I'll be up this month to claim the prize!! Slammer you never loose a fish do ya?

raywriter
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM
As for finding perch, see my post titled "Sun. 6-6 On The Bay". We are working the west shore breakline as detailed. Use your locator to spot loose schools of fish, anchor upwind, and work them. These panfish can be spotted anywhere from Kipling on south to Escanaba. They move a lot and we find them in different places each time out. Find fish first, catch them second. At this time of year the newly developing weedbeds in depths of six to sixteen feet are a strong attraction.

The biggest perch seem to come in while casting 1/16 or 1/8 ounce jigs tipped with perch minnows. The very "snaky" trout worms that Bay View has are working better than crawlers this year so far. These worms will almost turn flips when you pick one up. Use them straight over the side with a split shot and plain thin wire hook presentation. Put a light action rod in a holder and let it fish itself while you work the pike. As a side note, anytime you find perch in enough numbers to cause you to anchor, you will find pike there as well. Two of us have landed a dozen keeper perch and as many as six pike from one anchored position. Bay View's small suckers work great on pike. We like oversized slip float rigs with thin wire leader quick strike rigs, but a large bobber with four feet of line under it will work, but understand that large pike can cut even high-tech no stretch line. Wire is best. Good Luck!