PDA

View Full Version : Big Bay/Blue Gill Question??

mudpuppy
06-20-2010, 07:59 PM
I fished Big Bay today from 730 to 130 and only landed one eye about 23 inches and had three more hits but couldn't land em.. I think it may have been too bright and calm and of course the wind picked up and clouds moved in as soon as we got back to the launch.. Caught the fish on a dark purple crawler harness.

Also, I was curious if anyone has fished up Hwy 13 for Gills? I've checked a few of my favorite lakes for beds and didn't see any and it seems like the water is plenty warm.. I asked some of the Forest Service fisheries guys if they've seen them on beds and they haven't either and claim it's just a strange year. So if anyone has any input I would appreciate it...

acesario
06-21-2010, 07:53 AM
I heard that the beds are deeper this year, but I dont know if they are on them now.
Buddy told me they were catching them in grassy lake and fishing for musky. good luck

YooperTroll
06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
As I ran into spawning crappie on the big water about two weeks ago (well, at least water connected to the big water), I have to believe the inland-lake spawn is long over.

I plan on hitting one of the little lakes up off 13 this week...I'll let you know how I do.

mudpuppy
06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I agree, it seems like the water temps were plenty warm for spawning quite a while ago.. I will be heading up Hwy. 13 this week or weekend too and will give a report. Good Luck!

YooperTroll
07-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I was up on Chicago Lake yesterday...nothing but runts and dinks. Even the graph wasn't showing a whole lot worth anything.

Just an update.

mudpuppy
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I fished Triangle Lake amd Minerva Lake last week after work one night and didn't do very good.. I fished Triangle for crappies around some fish cribs and up around shore structure and only caught one crappie and some small bluegills. I used chunks of crawlers and didn't bring minnows so that probably didn't help much.

I tried for pike and bass at Minerva and only caught a couple small bass about 12 to 14 inches.. I don't think the 90 mile round trip was worth it..

peanutbutter soup
07-01-2010, 08:36 PM
:)got some real nice gills in squaw lake, about 10 days ago. the beds were deeper this year. we cault a few small ones. but most ran between 7 too 9 inchers. about half the females were spawned out. either bobbers or a small splitshot and #6 hook on the bottom. about half a crawler. we got most of our fish in about 12 too 18 fow. good luck. we had a blast.