PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Salmon In Little Bay?

walleyemick
06-21-2010, 06:06 AM
I'm heading up to my place on stonington thursday. I was wondering where the a good place to start would be to try to catch a salmon. I fish kings alot down here (traverse city area) but have never fished anything but walleye on little bay. I'd like to try something a little different. I dont have a real big boat and will be launching out of Hunters or Farmers Dock so wont be running more that a few miles weather permiting.
Thanks for any info, i'll let you know how i do on sunday!

jtourangeau
06-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Ive never caught one north of escanaba harbor till fall off the esky river.Never caught one north of the river.There is usually a run up the days river in the fall if that helps any.

Phlounder
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM
From around the mouth of the Escanaba harbour heading south as far as you're comfortable, from now through the end of July kings should be generally available. Not tons of them like other salmon ports but enough to keep you interested. You should find water that is consistently in the 90-100 foot range and over the years you could flip a coin to figure out if it's gonna be a dipsy, downrigger or leadcore day. One nice thing about fishing kings near esky is you typically don't need a big boat to go entertain yourself for a couple hours and bring home a couple fish. Good Luck and let us (or me!) know how you did.

jerkbait
06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Hey guy, Phlounders right about that area south of Esky. Ive also heard of fish being had on the Stonington side near the red can just south of esky. I usually run the west bank from esky down to portage pt. and if the weather is really calm I'll even push down to the Ford River Can area in my 14'er but the wind has gotta be low and not probably going to kick up before im done. It is definately nice to have so much action available out our back door... Just remember that the weather is the only factor I even consider before heading that way in my lil bathtub.

Good luck and definately let us know how you do
I did mark one school of bait off portage in 60-65 fow last wed am.

Jerkbait

walleyemick
06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the Info fellas i'll give it a shot. I'll let ya know how i do.

Down here we caught a few fish on meat but most have come on a black screwball (black spoon with all different color spots) and blue and orange silver plated spoon. Not sure if the same stuff works up there but its worth a shot.

DooFighter
06-22-2010, 09:16 AM
The west bank is probaby a higher percentage, but don't forget the center of the basin if the bank isn't producing, and the east "bank" as well. It's more gradual, but I had a real good year there 2 seasons ago.