PDA

View Full Version : July 28th trip

rpreston
06-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Hey guys i have had fun over the past two weeks reading your posts and getting some good tips. I will be renting a boat (pontoon) on the Flowage and i'm getting a little nervous about the structure. If im pretty careful should i be in good shape? Or is hitting something for a new boater inevitable? I took my boys to Canada last year and found this place would be a little closer and cheaper. They (8&10) both are really excited.
I have got the weedless jigs and will be getting a 1/2 flat of worms, i love to walleye fish and kids like the Bass so it should be a good lake to find some action. I will also try to pull out some Pike and Muskie. I will be watching the posts and will be looking forward to my first time up to this area.

Ruff Fish
06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi rpreston,

You and your kids will LOVE the TFF.

Hitting stuff on your maiden voyage is almost guaranteed, especially this year.

I recommend hiring a guide for your first day on the Flowage, and then start venturing out from the area he covered, very slowly expanding your area of confidence.

Enjoy!!!!!

St Croix Kid
06-24-2010, 08:17 PM
You are not going to believe the amount of water there is to fish up there

Musky Mauler
06-25-2010, 12:11 PM
I've fished the Flowage on and off for the past 45 years. It's still a wonderful place to fish. Sometimes the catching isn't so hot, but the fishing is always great. The water is kinda low right now. However, that does cause more of the "junk" to become visible instead of hiding just below the surface. If you're careful, you'll be fine. Of course, a pontoon boat does take up more space so you won't fit so well between stumps, boulders and things.

The advice to hire a guide is good advice. Once you've done that you won't hafta "expand" your area if you don't want to. Just keep visiting the areas that he took you to in the first place. Sooner of later, you'll probably have good luck, if not right away. Even if you only use a guide for half a day, you'll gain much useful knowledge about the water.

Years ago, the Flowage was more treacherous. Back then, anybody with more than a 15 HP outboard was considered to be "foolhardy." Today, you see boats that up that amount of power by 200 HP, or more. This is 'cuz the Flowage is MUCH safer now. But, some areas can still reach out and touch you. Take it easy, watch where other guys go, and enjoy the dickens out of TFF. You didn't say where you're staying. That can have an effect on where you can easily and more safely maneuver your pontoon boat. By the way, it'll be great for the boys. Also, keep in mind that motor trolling isn't legal on the Flowage.

Musky Mauler

RinCincinnati
06-25-2010, 12:26 PM
We have been goin to the Flowage for 3 years now. We take a pontoon boat as well as a bass boat. We've never damaged a prop on the pontoon boat but we did hit a stump once. But we got lucky and grazed it. Just have to be careful and keep an eye on that depth finder (if they have one on the boat you're renting). Always look out for stumps and such. They creep up on you out there. Once you make the trip a time or two you'll start to learn where to be and where not to be. Have fun out there! There is a TON of water to fish so be careful and make sure you know your way back. You can very easily get lost up above the big water.

rpreston
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Looks like i got my "Turtles" wrong. I will be going up to Winchester and fishin the south and north turtle lakes. My bad i guess i am a FIB "Friendly Illinois Brotheren" that correct right:)
Either way any info on these at all would be appreciated also.