PDA

View Full Version : Coming to TFF

smallmouth99
06-29-2010, 04:08 AM
I will be venturing from Ohio to TFF in mid July. I will be staying on the northern part of the lake. Can I get some pointers on the lake. I have a GPS and mapcard of the lake. Is there a general depth that all of the stump fields start in or are they in all depths? Right now how low is the water? I will mainly be fishing for smallies and maybe a pike. What is the best baits for each? I do not have the cash to hire a guide so that is out of the question.
Are there any places on the lake to get gas for the boat or will I need to pull the boat and head to town to fill it.
I will have many more questions as the time comes.

SLEDHEAD
06-29-2010, 07:47 PM
water is way up. You can get gas at Donners Bay.

George
06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Let me just caution you take it easy. The GPS and map card are a very good thing to have. However, I'll just bet there's a disclaimer on there somewhere that says NOT FOR NAVIGATIONAL PURPOSES, or something like that. When in doubt, go slow. The TFF is such a beautiful part of Wisconsin you don't want to miss any of it by going fast. One other thing to keep in mind. Just this year the DNR has instituted a 100ft. from shore, no-wake speed limitation, except for skiers being picked up or dropped off. This includes islands as well. Now I have yet to hear of anyone being pinched on this one, but just be aware that the regulation does exist.

And if your reference to mid July is the 17th thru the 24th maybe we can catcha beer at Donner's.

MuskieRandy
06-29-2010, 09:32 PM
For the novice, assume there can be stumps ANYWHERE, except the old lake basins (but you have to know where those are). Yes, there are areas devoid of stumps, but you really have to know the flowage. In a few areas there are stumps right next to the channel, so be careful.

Water is coming up with a vengeance right now, so you have that going for you.

Smallies can be hitting on many things, including jigs, spinners, Rapala's, rubber worms, slip bobbers with live bait.

smallmouth99
06-30-2010, 03:57 AM
Were on the lake is Donner's. We are staying in a cabin that is close to the Sturgeon launch on the north side.
When you say the lake is coming up, how far below normal pool is it? I am hoping we can get to the dock at the cabin.
Are there stump fields in the entrance to Trude lake. That is the place I will most likely spend a few days.

MuskieRandy
06-30-2010, 06:07 AM
It's called Donner's Bay actually. It is the West side of the flowage on the west shore. Find Lake Bastine on the map and go about a half mile south following the west shoreline and you will not miss it. There is a beer sign out there.

The entrance to Trude doesn't have many stumps. The entire large area to the west of that entrance is not too stumpy either. There are a couple of stump fields though so watch out. That area is shallow with many rice beds.

The water level this spring was really low due to the severe drought. Never reached full pool. However, the last 2 weeks it's been raining pretty good, and the flowage is coming up fast. It's been an odd year. Usually full pool is in May, and now the level would be coming down.

stacker
07-01-2010, 12:29 PM
You can get gas, I think at the hideaway resort. It is on the south shore and east of the sturgeon bay launch.

smallmouth99
07-01-2010, 06:13 PM
thanks to all for the help so far. I think the cabin we are staying at is right next door to hideaway.
Now how about some basic help with the fishing. I do not want any honey holes but just some basics. I will mostly be fishing for smallies. What kinds of structure and basic depths do I target (weeds, rock piles, wood, drop offs, flats ....)

Flambeau dreamer
07-02-2010, 11:45 AM
wood-rock combo
weed-rock combo
rock etensions
you get the piture
good luck,
chris

Mark Benson
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
chris:

Does that mean rock??? LOL!!!

Mark

smallmouth99
07-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Ok I guess I will try some rock.
I am down to 12 days until departure. I am starting to really get excited. Just looked at the forcast and it looks like rain for the next few days.
I want to thank all who replied. I think I have enough info to give it a shot.

Mark Benson
07-05-2010, 10:51 AM
smallmouth:

You got mail!!!

Mark